Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Quinoa Chili is an easy, healthy crock pot chicken dinner recipe. With just a few minutes of prep, you can enjoy this good-for-you meal!
My slow cooker has been getting quite a workout lately!
With everything that we’ve had going on, it’s so nice to be able to take 10 minutes in the morning to prep dinner and then not have to think about it again until we’re ready to eat.
That’s why I love healthy crockpot chicken recipes! Plus, this Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Quinoa Chili tastes great!
Not only is this chili delicious, but it’s made with healthy ingredients like beans and veggies and quinoa.
This recipe makes a huge batch of chili, but the it reheats well, so you’ll be glad that there are leftovers.
How To Make Barbecue Chicken Quinoa Chili In A Slow Cooker
Add the chicken to a slow cooker insert. You will need at least a 5 quart slow cooker for this recipe.
Add the remaining ingredients to the insert. Stir to combine.
Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours. The chicken should be falling apart at this point. Finish shredding the chicken before serving.
Tips For Make Perfect Chili
- Use regular-sized chicken breasts, not chicken breast halves in this recipe.
- There’s no need to pre-cook the quinoa. It will cook as the chili cooks.
- Be sure to use a barbecue sauce that you really like it will provide quite a lot of the flavor for this chili. If you like bit of sweetness in your sauce, look for a sauce with honey or brown sugar. If you like a bit of heat, look for a spicier sauce.
- This recipe makes a big batch of chili. Chill any leftovers and warm in the microwave to reheat.
- Vegetarian: simply swap out the chicken for one additional can of beans and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Spicy: Add additional chile powder and use diced tomatoes with green chiles in place of the diced tomatoes. You can also use a barbecue sauce with heat and add hot sauce if you like.
How To Serve
I top this with a little shredded cheese and a little cilantro. You can also top it with diced green onions, sour cream, or any other desired toppings.
What To Serve With This Chili
I like to serve this slow cooker chili with cornbread. A simple green salad or fruit salad will also go well with this chili.
More Chili Recipes!
If you’ve tried this slow cooker barbecue chicken quinoa recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Quinoa Chili
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup finely chopped white or yellow onion
- 3-14 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2-15 ounce cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce can corn drained
- 16-18 ounce bottle of barbecue sauce
- 14.5 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder feel free to add more if you like things on the spicier side
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Place chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker (You’ll need at least a 5 quart).
- Add all of the other ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Cover, and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Take chicken out, and shred with two forks.
- Return to slow cooker, and stir to combine.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @i_heart_eating and follow on Youtube @katedean and Pinterest @katedean for more!
Originally published 2/6/15. Updated with new photos and tips 10/5/19.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!
Comments & Reviews
Leena Paul says
This is really amazing. love this share.
This is delicious! Always looking for healthy, tasty recipes and this is a keeper. Will make again.
Thanks! I’m happy to hear that it was a hit. Thanks for commenting!
I loved this recipe will try among my family member this summer and let you know about the reviews :P once again thanks for it
Thank you! =)
Mr. Cook says
Cool recipe indeed forgot to rate previously but now rating it would be cooking in my food smoker
Mr. Cook says
Fabulous style and a unique recipe, I hope I could find more recipes like these that I could try at home, :)
Thank you! It’s a favorite in my house. =)
This is a big hit with my family. I have now made it many times, and they never seem to get tired of it. I usually add more chicken though- my husband is a big meat guy and if there isn’t enough meat in it…he doesn’t consider it a meal! Thanks for posting
I’m so glad that you and your family like it! It’s a favorite at our house, too. =) Thanks for taking the time to come back and leave a comment!
This looks delish Kate! I am printing it now so I can cook it this weekend. Let you know how I go :)
Thanks! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Jim @ Ssmoked says
Fantastic! I tried this recipe over our family dinner and they loved it. They want me to share the recipe to them. Thanks for this.
So glad that you liked it! This is a recipe that I look forward to every winter (and it freezes well!). Thanks for taking the time to come back and comment!
Thalia @ butter and brioche says
Love how easy this chili is to make.. and that you used quinoa too. I have to make the recipe!