Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Quinoa Chili is an easy, healthy crock pot chicken dinner recipe. With just a few minutes of prep, you can enjoy this good-for-you meal!
My slow cooker has been getting quite a workout lately!
With everything that we've had going on, it's so nice to be able to take 10 minutes in the morning to prep dinner and then not have to think about it again until we're ready to eat.
That's why I love healthy crockpot chicken recipes! Plus, this Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Quinoa Chili tastes great!
Not only is this chili delicious, but it's made with healthy ingredients like beans and veggies and quinoa.
This recipe makes a huge batch of chili, but the it reheats well, so you'll be glad that there are leftovers.
How To Make Barbecue Chicken Quinoa Chili In A Slow Cooker
Add the chicken to a slow cooker insert. You will need at least a 5 quart slow cooker for this recipe.
Add the remaining ingredients to the insert. Stir to combine.
Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours. The chicken should be falling apart at this point. Finish shredding the chicken before serving.
Tips For Make Perfect Chili
- Use regular-sized chicken breasts, not chicken breast halves in this recipe.
- There's no need to pre-cook the quinoa. It will cook as the chili cooks.
- Be sure to use a barbecue sauce that you really like it will provide quite a lot of the flavor for this chili. If you like bit of sweetness in your sauce, look for a sauce with honey or brown sugar. If you like a bit of heat, look for a spicier sauce.
- This recipe makes a big batch of chili. Chill any leftovers and warm in the microwave to reheat.
- Vegetarian: simply swap out the chicken for one additional can of beans and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Spicy: Add additional chile powder and use diced tomatoes with green chiles in place of the diced tomatoes. You can also use a barbecue sauce with heat and add hot sauce if you like.
How To Serve
I top this with a little shredded cheese and a little cilantro. You can also top it with diced green onions, sour cream, or any other desired toppings.
What To Serve With This Chili
I like to serve this slow cooker chili with cornbread. A simple green salad or fruit salad will also go well with this chili.
More Chili Recipes!
If you’ve tried this slow cooker barbecue chicken quinoa recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes!
Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Quinoa Chili
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup finely chopped white or yellow onion
- 3-14 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2-15 ounce cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 15 ounce can corn (drained)
- 16-18 ounce bottle of barbecue sauce
- 14.5 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa (rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (feel free to add more if you like things on the spicier side)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Place chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker (You’ll need at least a 5 quart).
- Add all of the other ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Cover, and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Take chicken out, and shred with two forks.
- Return to slow cooker, and stir to combine.
Originally published 2/6/15. Updated with new photos and tips 10/5/19.