Garlic breadsticks can be made from scratch in just an hour! These soft garlic breadsticks taste like the ones from Olive Garden or Fazoli’s.
These garlic breadsticks are my version of the breadsticks that are served at restaurants like Olive Garden and Fazoli’s. They’re soft and buttery and garlic-y.
They’re also incredibly easy to make! From start to finish, these breadsticks take just over an hour to make, and much of that time is hands-off resting time. So these breadsticks make an easy addition to any meal!
How To Make Garlic Breadsticks
In the bowl of a stand mixer, stir together the water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand for 5-10 minutes, or until yeast is foamy.
Stir in 2 cups of flour. Continue adding flour 1/4 cup at a time until it forms a soft, slightly sticky dough. Knead for 3 minutes.
Cover the dough and let it rest for 10 minutes. Divide the dough into two equal pieces.
Divide each piece into 8 pieces for a total of 16 pieces. I like to use a bench scraper to cut the dough.
Roll the dough into breadsticks that are approximately 1/2-inch by 8-inches and place on prepared baking sheet. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let dough rest.
Remove greased plastic wrap. Brush the dough with half of the melted butter.
Bake the breadsticks until light golden brown, and then brush the breadsticks with remaining butter and sprinkle with garlic salt.
Tips To Make Perfect Breadsticks
- Be sure that the water is at the correct temperature! Using water that’s too hot will kill your yeast. Using water that’s too cold will slow down your rising time.
- Make sure that you properly measure the flour. Packing in too much flour will cause the dough to be dry and heavy.
- Also, you may find that you need to use a little more or a little less flour. It’s better to go by the feel of the dough than to use too much flour.
- You can mix this dough by hand. Just add another 1-2 minutes to the kneading time.
Recipes That Go Well With Garlic Breadsticks
If you’ve tried this garlic breadsticks recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
- 1 ½ cups warm water (about 105 F)
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour1
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (melted, divided)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon garlic salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl), stir together the warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand for 5-10 minutes or until foamy.
- Mix in 2 cups of flour and salt.
- Continue adding flour 1/4 cup at a time until the dough forms a soft dough. You may need a little more or less flour. The dough should feel slightly sticky but shouldn't come off on your fingers when you pinch it.
- Knead dough for three minutes.
- Cover, and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into two equal pieces.
- Cut each piece into into 8 pieces for a total of 16 pieces of dough.
- Roll each piece of dough into a piece about 1/2 inch by 8 inches (check out the pictures above).
- Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise 30 minutes. Toward the end of the resting time, preheat oven to 375 F.
- Brush dough with half of the melted butter.
- Bake 12-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush breadsticks with remaining melted butter, and sprinkle with garlic salt.
- To properly measure the flour, stir, lightly spoon into the measuring cup, and then level.
- Nutrition values are estimates.