These quick and easy homemade breadsticks can be made from scratch in just 1 hour. They’re perfect for those times when you want homemade bread but don’t want to spend hours making it!
I love bread. Sometimes I suggest where we should go to dinner based solely on how good the bread is at that restaurant.
For a long time, I was intimated by yeast breads and didn’t try to make them at home. I had no idea that water could be too hot and kill the yeast or that certain kinds of yeast need to be proofed. I would just try a recipe and cross my fingers. Unfortunately, I ended up with a lot of flat, gross bread.
Even though I’ve learned a lot about making yeast breads since then, I still appreciate a bread recipe that I can have ready in about an hour.
That’s why I came up this recipe! These Easy Homemade Breadsticks just take about an hour from start to finish, and they still taste great. They’re perfect for those times when you want homemade bread but don’t want to spend hours making it.
How to Make Homemade Breadsticks
In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl), stir together the warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand for 5-10 minutes or until foamy.
Cover, and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
Cut the dough in half width-wise with a pizza cutter. I like to use a pizza cutter because it moves nicely through the dough without tearing it.
Bake, and then brush the baked breadsticks with garlic butter.
- Warm water: The water should be about 105 F. Water that’s too hot will kill the yeast.
- Yeast: You can substitute an equal amount of instant yeast for the active dry yeast. If using instant yeast, there’s no need to wait for it to foam before continuing.
- Flour: You may find that you need to use a little more or a little less flour in your dough. If you’re unsure, you can start with a little less (like 3 cups) and add in the rest as needed.
- Parmesan cheese: Feel free to omit the Parmesan cheese if you prefer.
More 1 Hour Bread Recipes!
If you’ve tried this easy homemade breadstick recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Easy Homemade Breadstick Recipe
- 1 ½ cups warm water (about 105 F)
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast1
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour2 (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2-1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl), stir together the warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand for 5-10 minutes or until foamy.
- Mix in flour and salt. The dough should clear the sides of the mixing bowl and feel slightly sticky but shouldn't come off on your fingers if you pinch it.
- Knead dough for three minutes.
- Cover, and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Grease an 11X17-inch baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough into about a 12x16-inch rectangle about 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut the dough in half width-wise with a pizza cutter. Cut into 8 strips lengthwise for a total of 16 strips.
- Twist each strip slightly (or leave them as strips), and place about 1/2-inch apart on the baking sheet.
- Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise 30 minutes. Toward the end of the resting time, preheat oven to 375 F.
- Bake 12-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- While breadsticks are baking, stir together butter, seasoning, and garlic salt.
- Brush over hot breadsticks, and then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Can sub an equal amount of instant yeast. If using instant yeast, there's no need to let the yeast mixture stand until foamy.
- You may find that you need to use a little more or less flour depending on how you measure and other factors like the humidity where you live.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Originally posted 3/5/12. Updated with new tips and photos 1/22/20.