Chocolate Mashed Potato Cake recipe takes leftover mashed potatoes and turns them into a moist chocolate cake with rich chocolate frosting!
Once a holiday is over, I have a fridge full of leftovers.
I have a love/hate relationship with leftovers. It’s nice not having to cook again for a day or so, but then I get a little tired of eating the same thing again.
That’s why it’s nice to have recipes that repurpose those leftovers into new dishes. Last week, I shared a recipe for slow cooker scalloped potatoes with ham that is a great way to make use of leftover ham.
Today, I have this Chocolate Mashed Potato Cake recipe that uses leftover mashed potatoes in a whole new way. I love baking with mashed potatoes! I use them in my Amish dinner rolls to make the rolls lighter and fluffier.
The mashed potatoes work the same magic in this cake. The cake is really moist, and the potatoes also help to give it a fluffier texture. I cut a fair amount of sugar from the original recipe, but we didn’t notice that it was gone.
If you like your desserts really sweet, I’d suggest adding an additional 1/4-1/2 cup of granulated sugar and doubling the frosting portion. As it is, there’s a thin layer of frosting, which is perfect for me, but many people like a thicker layer of frosting.
This is a chocolate cake that my daughter asks for a lot. She even chose this cake as her birthday cake one year. I hope you’ll enjoy it just as much as we do!
More chocolate cake recipes!
If you’ve tried this chocolate mashed potato cake recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Chocolate Mashed Potato Cake
Chocolate Mashed Potato Cake
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (at cool room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 cup buttermilk (low-fat ok. At room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate (melted and cooled slightly)
- 3/4 cup plain mashed potatoes (warm*)
- 6 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate (melted and cooled slightly)
- 2 tablespoons milk, half-and-half, or heavy cream
To make the cake
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until combined.
- Beat in eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla until well-combined.
- Add mashed potatoes and melted chocolate. Mix until incorporated.
- Stir in flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan, smoothing as needed.
- Bake for 35-50 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool to room temperature before frosting.
To make the frosting
- Beat butter and powdered sugar together until well-combined.
- Mix in chocolate and milk until completely incorporated.
- Spread over cooled cake.
Adapted from Desserts From the Famous Loveless Cafe.