This easy chocolate buttercream frosting is silky chocolate perfection! Made with cocoa powder, this not too sweet frosting is perfect for any cake or cupcake!
On Friday, I shared a recipe for Hot Chocolate Cake. But what’s a great cake without a great frosting? So, today I give you a delicious Chocolate Buttercream Frosting recipe.
This chocolate frosting is pretty fuss-free, and if you haven’t tried making homemade frosting, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at just how easy it is.
It’s a great basic, chocolate buttercream that is about as easy to make and to work with as it gets.
How do you make homemade chocolate buttercream frosting?
The most common chocolate buttercream frostings are a mixture of butter, powdered sugar, and either cocoa powder or melted chocolate. To make this frosting as easy as possible, it uses cocoa powder rather than melted chocolate.
Tips for making this frosting
- First, beat the butter before adding in the powdered sugar.
- Second, if your powdered sugar and/or cocoa powder are lumpy, sift them before adding them into the butter. It will help them incorporate more easily into the butter.
And, most importantly, it tastes great! If you’re looking for more great frosting recipes, check out the recipes below!
More frosting recipes!
Tools used to make Chocolate Buttercream Frosting (affiliate links):
Silicone Spatula: A great all-purpose spatula is a must-have. I have two of these spatulas, and I use them for mixing, scraping, and stirring. Mine have held up well, and I like that they’re heat-resistant.
If you’ve tried this chocolate buttercream frosting recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
This easy chocolate buttercream frosting is silky, chocolate perfection! Made with cocoa powder, this not too sweet frosting is perfect for any cake or cupcake!
- 1 cup salted butter at room temperature
- 3 ½-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons whole milk, half-and-half, or cream
- With an electric mixer (either hand or stand), beat butter until pale, about 3-4 minutes on medium.
- Scrape down the bowl.
- Add 3½ cups powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of milk.
- Mix on low until powdered sugar and cocoa powder are incorporated.
- If the frosting is too dry, add another tablespoon of milk. If the frosting is too wet, add powdered sugar 2 tablespoons at a time until it reaches a spreadable consistency.
*Nutrition facts have been estimated.