Best yellow cake recipe! This homemade yellow cake recipe makes moist and tender yellow cake from scratch. Perfect birthday cake recipe!
Cake mixes are popular for a reason – they’re quick, easy, and turn out pretty reliable results. However, they just aren’t quite the same as a cake that’s made from scratch.
This yellow cake is a soft and tender yellow cake recipe. It is moist and flavorful without being overly heavy.
Topped with chocolate frosting and sprinkles, this cake makes a fantastic birthday cake.
How to make homemade yellow cake
Step 1: Begin by beating the butter and oil together with the sugar, baking powder, and salt until well combined. You want it to be mixed well, so beat for about 2-3 minutes.
Step 2: Add in the eggs and then egg yolks one at a time, and mix well.
Step 3: Add half of the flour, and then all of the milk. The batter may look curdled after you add the milk
Step 4: Then, add the remaining half of the flour. Mix just until combined, but don’t overmix.
Step 5: Divide the batter between the prepared pans.
Step 6: Bake.
- Oil, egg yolks, and milk: Using a combination of oil with the butter, extra egg yolks, and whole milk gives the cake moisture and richness.
- Room temperature: It’s important that the eggs and milk be at room temperature. Otherwise, they can cause the butter to clump up as the batter mixes.
It is! Homemade yellow cake is notoriously dry and bland, but this cake is neither.
The combination of oil and butter give the cake moisture and flavor and the extra egg yolks also add richness to the cake batter.
Using cake flour rather than all-purpose flour also helps to make the cake soft and moist.
Make your own homemade cake flour with this easy tutorial.
The cake should keep for 2-3 days at room temperature or 4 days in the fridge. Once frosted, I recommend storing the cake, covered, in the fridge.
Frostings that pair well with yellow cake
If you’ve tried this yellow cake cake recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Yellow Cake Recipe
- Place a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Grease and flour either two 8 or 9-inch round cake pans or two 12-count muffin tins. You can line the muffin cups with paper liners in place of greasing. Set aside.
- Beat together the butter, oil, sugar, baking powder, and salt together with a mixer until well-combined, about 3 minutes on medium-high.
- Scrape down the sides.
- Add the eggs and then egg yolks one at a time, and mix until well-combined.
- Scrape down the sides.
- Stir in half of the flour, then all of the milk, and then the remaining flour, scraping the bowl after each addition.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
- Bake the cake until just golden brown. For cupcakes – 20-30 minutes. For 8-inch and 9-inch round cake pans 35-45 minutes. The cake should have a few moist crumbs attached when a toothpick is inserted in the center but there shouldn't be wet batter.
- For round cake pans, cool completely in the pan, then loosen the edges with a knife and gently remove from the pan.
- For cupcakes, let cupcakes to cool in the pans for 5-10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Oil: A neutral oil such as canola oil is best.
- Flour: Properly measure the flour by aerating, spooning, and then leveling. Check out this tutorial to make a homemade cake flour substitute.
- Milk: Anything from skim to whole milk will work. However, whole milk will give you moister, richer cake.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!