Rich and creamy chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe is a simple cream cheese chocolate icing that takes just minutes to make.
This chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe is a simple cream cheese chocolate icing that takes just minutes to make. The frosting is rich and cream and chocolaty and goes well with cakes, cupcakes, and brownies.
How to Make Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
Begin by beating the butter and cream cheese together until well-combined. You want them to really be combined well. It should take about 2-3 minutes on medium-high.
The ingredients should be at about 70 degrees F or room temperature. I don’t recommend using fat-free cream cheese in this recipe.
Add in 3 cups of powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla. Mix on low until combined.
At this point, you can continue to add additional powdered sugar to reach desired consistency and sweetness. This chocolate cream cheese frosting is a variation on my chocolate buttercream frosting.
It’s incredibly easy to make, but there are a couple tips below that ensure that it comes out well.
- First, the butter and cream cheese should be soft, but you don’t want the butter to be so soft that it’s melting.
- Second, if your cocoa powder and powdered sugar are lumpy, sifting them will give you a smoother frosting.
- Third, the frosting may seem a little soft as you are piping it. It will set up quite a bit once it has been refrigerated, so don’t worry if it it’s not very stiff as you are piping it on.
- Fourth, be sure to chill any frosted cake or cupcake or leftover frosting.
Recipes that Go Well with This Frosting
I like to use this cream cheese chocolate frosting when I make pumpkin cupcakes. The combination of cream cheese, chocolate, and pumpkin just goes so well together!
It also pairs well with brownies.
More frosting recipes!
- Peanut Butter Frosting
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- Cream Cheese Frosting
If you’ve tried this chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter (at cool room temperature1)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 3-3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- With an electric mixer (either hand or stand), beat butter and cream cheese together until well-combined, about 3-4 minutes on medium.
- Scrape down the bowl.
- Add 3 cups powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla.
- Mix on low until powdered sugar and cocoa powder are incorporated.
- If the frosting is too wet or tart, add powdered sugar 2 tablespoons at a time until it reaches desired consistency and sweetness.
- I like to use salted butter. If you prefer to use unsalted butter, just add a pinch or so of salt to the frosting.
- Nutrition facts are estimated.