Rich and creamy chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe is a simple cream cheese chocolate icing that takes just minutes to make.
This weekend was an exciting weekend for our family.
My youngest son made an early appearance and joined our family, and we couldn’t be happier. Not that that has anything to do with this frosting recipe, but I’m just so excited that I wanted to share the news.
How to make chocolate cream cheese frosting
Begin by beating the butter and cream cheese together until well-combined.
You want them to really be combined well. It should take about 2-3 minutes on medium-high.
The ingredients should be at about 70 degrees F or room temperature.
I don’t recommend using fat-free cream cheese in this recipe.
Add in 3 cups of powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla.
Mix on low until combined.
At this point, you can continue to add additional powdered sugar to reach desired consistency and sweetness.
This chocolate cream cheese frosting is a variation on my chocolate buttercream frosting.
It’s incredibly easy to make, but there are a couple tips below that ensure that it comes out well.
Tips to Make Perfect Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- First, the butter and cream cheese should be soft, but you don’t want the butter to be so soft that it’s melting.
- Second, if your cocoa powder and powdered sugar are lumpy, sifting them will give you a smoother frosting.
- Third, the frosting may seem a little soft as you are piping it. It will set up quite a bit once it has been refrigerated, so don’t worry if it it’s not very stiff as you are piping it on.
Recipes that go well with chocolate cream cheese frosting
I like to use this cream cheese chocolate frosting when I make pumpkin cupcakes.
The combination of cream cheese, chocolate, and pumpkin just goes so well together!
This rich chocolate cream cheese icing also pairs really well with basic chocolate, white, or yellow cakes.
It also pairs well with brownies.
More frosting recipes!
- Peanut Butter Frosting
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- Cream Cheese Frosting
If you’ve tried this chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter at cool room temperature*
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3-3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- With an electric mixer (either hand or stand), beat butter and cream cheese together until well-combined, about 3-4 minutes on medium.
- Scrape down the bowl.
- Add 3 cups powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla.
- Mix on low until powdered sugar and cocoa powder are incorporated.
- If the frosting is too wet or tart, add powdered sugar 2 tablespoons at a time until it reaches desired consistency and sweetness.