Homemade vanilla buttercream frosting recipe makes light & fluffy vanilla frosting! This easy vanilla frosting recipe takes just 5 minutes to make.
This recipe was born out of necessity. I have a whipped buttercream frosting recipe that I absolutely love.
It's light and fluffy and isn't too sweet. It's a fantastic frosting recipe.
It's also time-consuming. And sometimes I just don't have the time to make it.
That's where this vanilla frosting comes in. It's rich and creamy but still fluffy. It is sweet and rich without being heavy or greasy.
This easy vanilla frosting is made with just 5 simple ingredients, and it only takes less than 10 minutes to whip up!
How to make vanilla buttercream frosting
This frosting is really simple to make! First, beat the butter.
Next, add in the powdered sugar and vanilla, and mix until well-combined. Then add enough heavy cream to make it the proper consistency, and beat until well-combined.
There are a couple things that make a big difference in this frosting.
- First, beating the butter before adding in the powdered sugar is key. Mixing the butter helps to further soften it up so that it can better combine with the sugar.
- Second, sifting the powdered sugar helps to remove any lumps and lets it really mix in well. If your powdered sugar isn't lumpy, feel free to skip this.
- Third, using heavy whipping cream in place of milk gives you a lighter, creamier frosting.
Can I use milk in place of cream?
You can, but the frosting won't be as rich and creamy.
What type of vanilla should I use in vanilla frosting?
That depends! I use pure vanilla extract because I'm not worried about getting the frosting as white as possible.
However, if you want it to be whiter, use clear vanilla.
How much frosting does this recipe make?
This vanilla frosting recipe will frost a 9×13-inch sheet cake or 24 cupcakes. If you are going to frost the top, middle, and sides of a 2-layer 9-inch round cake, I would either make 1.5 or 2 times the frosting.
How to store
Since the frosting has a higher dairy content, I recommend storing this frosting in the fridge.
More frosting recipes!
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Peanut Butter Frosting
If you’ve tried this vanilla buttercream frosting recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes!
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 3 - 4 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Pinch salt
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Beat butter with a mixer - hand or stand - on medium for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of the powdered sugar 1/2 a cup at a time, and beat until well-combined.
- Add vanilla and a pinch of salt and beat until well-combined.
- Add 2 tablespoons cream, and beat until combined.
- If necessary, continue adding powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time or cream 1 teaspoon at a time until you reach desired consistency.
- Vanilla: If you want whiter frosting, use clear vanilla. For reference, I used pure vanilla extract.
- Cream: You can use milk in place of cream, but the frosting won't be as rich and creamy.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Originally posted 10/10/18. Updated with new photos and tips 8/25/20.