Easy, one-bowl chocolate zucchini cake recipe (with video)! This quick recipe makes a super moist chocolate cake.
Homemade cakes don’t get much easier than this simple chocolate zucchini cake recipe! This quick, one-bowl recipe makes a super moist chocolate cake.
If you have loads of zucchini and have already made plenty of zucchini bread, this cake is also a great way to use up extra zucchini.
How to make
Whisk the oil and buttermilk together in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla until well-combined.
Add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix in just until combined.
Stir in the zucchini until combined.
Whisk in the water until combined. Pour the batter into prepared pan, and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Zucchini: There’s no need to peel or squeeze the zucchini dry. Simply place the zucchini in a colander while you continue with the recipe.
Buttermilk: Regular or low-fat buttermilk will work. If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make an easy substitute with this recipe.
Cinnamon: The cinnamon adds a bit of extra flavor, but you can omit it if you prefer.
Frostings that go well with this cake
>>I like to pair this cake with either chocolate buttercream frosting or chocolate cream cheese frosting.
>>If I’m short on time, I just toss chocolate chips on the hot cake and place the cake back in the oven until the chocolate chips soften enough to spread.
>>You can also dust the cake with powdered sugar, if you prefer.
How to store
Depending on the frosting that I use, I either store this cake at room temperature or in the fridge.
The cake will keep for up to 4 days when stored at room temperature or in the fridge.
More zucchini recipes!
If you’ve tried this chocolate zucchini cake recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 degrees C).
- Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking pan. Set aside.
- Grate zucchini and place in colander while you continue with recipe.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil and buttermilk until well-combined.
- Whisk in the eggs until well-combined.
- Add the vanilla and whisk until well-combined.
- Add the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk until combined.
- Fold in the zucchini until combined.
- Whisk in the water just until combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely before frosting with your favorite frosting.
- Zucchini: There’s no need to peel or squeeze the zucchini dry. Simply place the zucchini in a colander while you continue with the recipe.
- Buttermilk: Regular or low-fat buttermilk will work. If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make an easy substitute with this recipe.
- Cinnamon: The cinnamon adds a bit of extra flavor, but you can omit it if you prefer.
- Nutrition values are estimates.