This easy chocolate mousse cake recipe makes a moist dark chocolate cake that’s topped with a yummy chocolate mousse.
I’ve been in a chocolate mousse kinda mood lately.
At first, I thought I’d make a French Silk Pie. I wanted something rich and chocolaty, and French Silk Pie came to mind (you can try my French Silk Brownie Recipe if that sounds good to you, too!).
Since my birthday was coming up, I finally ended up settling on this Chocolate Mousse Cake. And it was an awesome decision.
This cake is moist and intensely chocolaty. It’s topped with a super rich and creamy chocolate mousse for the ultimate chocolate dessert!
And all of that chocolate in one little piece of cake meant a very happy birthday for me.
More chocolate cake recipes!
Chocolate Mousse Cake Video
If you’ve tried this chocolate mousse cake recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Chocolate Mousse Cake
- 1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 c. buttermilk low-fat ok
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c. hot water not boiling
- 1 1/2 c. mini marshmallows
- 8 oz. semisweet baking chocolate chopped
- 1/2 c. milk
- 2 c. heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk and vegetable oil.
- Whisk in eggs one at a time.
- Stir in dry intredients until just combined.
- Add hot water and vanilla.
- Whisk until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Bake 30-40 minutes, or until wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature.
- To make the chocolate mousse, add mini marshmallows, chocolate, and milk to a large, heavy saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and well-combined.
- Remove from heat, and cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat whipping cream and vanilla together to soft peak stage.
- Fold whipped cream into cooled chocolate mixture.
- Spread over cooled cake.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes, or until ready to serve.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
Cake adapted from Food Network.