Moist homemade chocolate layer cake recipe! Hot chocolate cake is an easy, no-mixer-necessary chocolate cake. Great with chocolate buttercream!
This hot chocolate cake is made with hot chocolate. It helps to add a deep, rich chocolate flavor and makes the cake super moist.
It’s also an easy recipe to mix up. Most of the cake is mixed in one bowl, and there’s no mixer necessary to make the cake. It also only takes a few minutes to mix up, so it’s a great choice whenever you get a craving for chocolate cake!
How To Make Hot Chocolate Cake
Begin by mixing the cocoa powder and hot chocolate in a small bowl. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, melted butter, buttermilk, and vanilla together until well-combined. It’s important that the eggs and buttermilk be at room temperature.
Whisk the hot chocolate mixture in until combined. Add the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Whisk in just until combined.
Divide the batter between the cake pans. Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20-35 minutes.
Tips For Making Hot Chocolate Cake
- Hot Chocolate: I use a standard-sized packet of hot chocolate mixed with 1 cup of hot water. However, feel free to make hot chocolate however you prefer.
- Hot Chocolate Temperature: I use hot hot chocolate. The hot hot chocolate combined with the cocoa powder helps to give this cake it’s ultra chocolaty flavor.
- Temperature: It’s important that the eggs and buttermilk are at room temperature. Mixing cold eggs and buttermilk with melted butter can cause it to solidify, and you’ll end up with clumps of butter in your cake batter.
- Frosting: Feel free to use any flavor of frosting that you like with this cake. Some delicious options are salted buttercream, chocolate buttercream, oreo frosting, and peanut butter frosting.
More Chocolate Cake Recipes!
If you’ve tried this hot chocolate cake recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Hot Chocolate Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and hot chocolate; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, butter, buttermilk, and vanilla together until well-combined. It's important that the eggs and buttermilk are at room temperature so that the melted butter doesn't clump up.
- Add hot chocolate mixture, and whisk to combine.
- Whisk in flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt just until incorporated.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.
- Bake for 20-35 minutes, or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove cakes from pans and cool on wire rack until room temperature.
- The cake is now ready to frost and assemble.
- I use regular unsweetened baking cocoa powder, not Dutch-processed.
- I use 1 cup of hot water mixed with 1.25 oz. of hot chocolate powder (standard-sized packet).
- Nutrition facts are estimates.
Originally published 9/20/13. Updated with new photos and tips 12/3/19.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!