I made this Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting recipe to pair with my Browned Butter Pumpkin Spice Cake.
The cake’s pumpkin/spice combo just called for some salted caramel buttercream frosting to go with the rich, earthy flavors flavors in the cake.
This sweet and salty buttercream would be delicious paired with just about any cake, though. It goes especially well with chocolate, apple, spice, or pumpkin cakes, but, really, there’s no wrong flavor of cake to go with this easy, yummy frosting.
More frosting recipes!
If you’ve tried this salted caramel buttercream frosting recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
Salted caramel buttercream frosting is the perfect balance of sweet and salty
- 1 c butter at room temperature
- 1/3 c salted caramel sauce* at cool room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c powdered sugar
- Pinch Kosher salt
- With an electric mixer, beat butter on medium for 1 minute.
- Add salted caramel sauce and vanilla extract, and beat on medium for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add powdered sugar and salt, and beat on low until powdered sugar is incorporated.
- Increase speed to medium, and beat until smooth and well-combined, about 2-3 additional minutes.
- This will make enough for a 2-layer 9-inch cake or about 24 cupcakes.
*Here is the recipe to make salted caramel sauce.
**If you would like to use a jarred caramel, make sure you get a thicker topping and not a thinner sauce. Also, add a pinch or two of a finishing salt for the "salted" flavor!
***Nutrition values are estimates.