Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting recipe is a sweet and salty frosting full of sweet, buttery goodness! Perfect frosting for apple or pumpkin cake.
I made this Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting recipe to pair with my Pumpkin Spice Cake.
The cake’s pumpkin spice combo just called for some salted caramel buttercream frosting to go with the rich, earthy flavors flavors in the cake.
This sweet and salty buttercream would be delicious paired with just about any cake, though. It goes especially well with chocolate, apple, spice, or pumpkin cakes, and, really, there’s no wrong flavor of cake to go with this yummy frosting.
How to make salted caramel buttercream frosting
Beat butter on medium for 1 minute. Add caramel sauce and vanilla extract, and beat for 2 minutes.
Add the powdered sugar and salt. Mix in until well-incorporated.
Can I use jarred caramel sauce?
You can! You will need a thicker caramel and not a thinner caramel sauce. A thinner sauce will make your frosting runny.
How to store
I recommend storing the frosting or any cake or cupcakes frosted with this frosting in the fridge.
More frosting recipes!
- Whipped Buttercream Frosting
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
If you’ve tried this salted caramel buttercream frosting recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 1/3 cup salted caramel sauce (at cool room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Pinch Kosher salt
- With an electric mixer, beat butter on medium for 1 minute.
- Add salted caramel sauce. and vanilla extract, and beat on medium for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add powdered sugar and salt, and beat on low until powdered sugar is incorporated.
- Increase speed to medium, and beat until smooth and well-combined, about 2-3 additional minutes.
- Butter: I like to use salted butter in this recipe. You can use unsalted butter and adjust the salt level with salt as needed.
- Caramel sauce: Here is the recipe to make salted caramel sauce. If you would like to use a jarred caramel, make sure you get a thicker sauce and not a thinner topping.
- Salt: Also, add a pinch or two of a finishing salt for the "salted" flavor!
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Originally published 11/4/13. Updated 9/14/20.