Apple spice cake is a moist apple cake recipe that's made with fresh apples, applesauce, and plenty of warm spices for a simple and delicious dessert!
Every fall I look forward to apple and pumpkin treats.
These apple spice cake cupcakes are moist apple cupcakes. They're made with both applesauce and grated fresh apple. They have plenty of warm spices that make them perfect for fall.
I like to top these cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. It goes really well with moist spiced cake (think carrot cake), but you could eat it plain or with powdered sugar on top.
How to make apple spice cake
Even though there are quite a few ingredients, this apple spice cake comes together quickly.
Just whisk the dry ingredients together and then beat the brown sugar, oil, and apple sauce together. Mix in the eggs and vanilla.
Stir in half of the flour, the buttermilk, and then the remaining half of the flour mixture. Add the grated apple, and that's it!
What do you frost apple cake with?
You can go simple and just top the cake with powdered sugar, or you can frost it with cream cheese frosting.
How to store apple cake
Unfrosted apple spice cake can be stored, covered, at room temperature. If you frost it with cream cheese frosting, I recommend storing the cupcakes in the fridge.
More apple desserts!
If you’ve tried this apple spice cake recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 ¾ cups brown sugar packed
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk regular or low-fat
- 1 cup peeled and grated baking apple*
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves together. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat brown sugar, vegetable oil, and applesauce together until well-combined.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla.
- Add in ½ of the flour mixture and mix on low speed until combined.
- Mix in buttermilk until just combined.
- Add remaining ½ of the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Stir in grated apple until just combined.
- Divide mixture evenly among two prepared muffin pans.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes, or until cupcakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Allow to cool in pan for about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove to wire cooling rack, and let come to room temperature before frosting.