Whip up this easy homemade broccoli cheese soup recipe from scratch in just 30 minutes! And it tastes even better than restaurant broccoli cheese soup!
I love making copycat recipes at home! There's just something about being able to make my restaurant faves at home that's so satisfying.
This broccoli cheese soup recipe is as good (maybe even better) than any broccoli cheese soup that I've had at any restaurant.
It's really easy to make, and the soup is thick and velvety. It has nice cheese flavor without tasting like just a bowl full of melted cheese (though you could certainly add more cheese if that's your thing).
Tips and tricks (how to make broccoli cheese soup)
You might be tempted to cut the amount of butter down, but the amount of butter is necessary for the flour mixture that you'll make in step 4.
Also, you won't to shorten the cooking time in step 4 because that's when the flour taste will cook out.
How to thicken broccoli cheese soup
This is a fairly thick soup as-is. However, if you'd like it extra thick, simply use more flour.
How to thin the soup
If you'd like a thinner soup, you can add more milk or chicken broth to the soup. Or simply use more cream at the end to thin the soup (and make it richer!).
Do I have to use cream?
You don't. You can simply use more milk in place of the cream for a thinner, less rich soup.
Can I use a different type of cheese?
You can! You can use any cheddar from mild through extra-sharp in this soup. You can sub a good white cheddar if you prefer.
You can also use all cheddar and leave the parmesan out if you'd like.
What's good with broccoli cheese soup?
Broccoli cheese soup is good served with a piece of crusty bread for dipping, with lunchmeat sandwiches (ham is my favorite with this soup), or served in a bread bowl.
More restaurant copycat soup recipes!
If you’ve tried this broccoli cheese soup recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow or white onion
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ cups milk*
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups broccoli florets**
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 ¼ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven (or similar sized pot) over medium heat.
- Stir in onions, and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and dry mustard. Cook, stirring the entire time, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in flour, and cook for 1 minute, stirring regularly.
- Stream in chicken broth while whisking to combine.
- Add milk and broccoli, and stir to combine.
- Bring just to beginning to boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Let soup cook until soup has thickened and broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, and stir in cream, cheddar cheese, and parmesan cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.