Crock pot roast beef recipe that is so tender and so full of flavor! This simple slow cooker roast beef is perfect for chuck roast or rump roast!
Crock pot roast beef is one of my favorite easy meals.
I use either rump roast or chuck roast, and the low and slow cooking takes the relatively inexpensive cut of meat and turns it into a tender, juicy beef dinner.
This crock pot roast uses just a few simple, pantry-staple ingredients, but the time in the slow cooker really allows the flavors to come through.
Don't worry about there being an overwhelming garlic flavor to the meat. The cloves cook down and are deliciously mellow by the end.
What kind of meat is best for crock pot roast?
I like to use either chuck roast or rump roast. Both work really well for long, slow cooking.
Do you have to brown the roast before putting it in the crock pot?
This recipe has simple ingredients and relies on getting the most out of those ingredients. You don't have to brown the roast first, but the roast won't be quite as flavorful if you skip that step.
How to smash garlic
How to make crock pot roast beef gravy
For this recipe, you'll want to add the cooking liquid to a saucepan, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
Mix the reserved cup of liquid and cornstarch together until smooth. It's important to mix them well before cooking it so that you don't end up with lumps.
Then, stir the cornstarch mixture into the cooking liquid and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, and cook until thickened.
What to serve with crock pot roast beef
I serve this beef over homemade mashed potatoes and alongside steamed broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower.
This roast beef is also delicious served over egg noodles.
More of my favorite crock pot beef recipes!
If you’ve tried this crock pot roast recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes!
Crock Pot Roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 pound boneless beef roast like rump or chuck roast
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 20 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Heat large skillet over medium heat.
- Add olive oil.
- Sprinkle roast with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Brown roast on every side, beginning fat side down.
- Place browned roast and any drippings in crock pot insert fat side up. I use either a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker for this recipe.
- Add beef broth and smashed garlic to the insert.
- Cover, and cook on LOW for 8-9 hours.
- Remove roast from insert. The roast should easily shred with two forks.
- Tent roast beef with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Carefully pour all but 1 cup of the cooking liquid into a saucepan.
- Stir remaining 1 cup liquid and cornstarch together until combined.
- Stir cornstarch mixture into cooking liquid.
- Bring cooking liquid to boil over medium heat.
- Once at a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and continue to cook, stirring regularly, until slightly thickened.
- Serve gravy over shredded meat.