Easy homemade pizza sauce recipe! This simple pizza sauce is made with pantry staples like canned tomatoes for an easy sauce that can be made any time!
This homemade pizza sauce is super easy to make! It’s made with just a few simple pantry staples, and, best of all, it tastes great!
How to make pizza sauce from scratch
Step 1: Sauté garlic over low heat, stirring constantly. Don’t let the garlic brown or scorch.
Step 2: Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. The red pepper flakes don’t add heat, but they add a little extra flavor.
Step 3: Cover and simmer tomato sauce for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and stir. Let the sauce cool to room temperature before using.
- Garlic: Feel free to add more garlic if you like a stronger garlic flavor to your sauce.
- Tomatoes: Grab crushed San Marzano tomatoes if you can find them. Otherwise, use any type of crushed tomatoes.
- Sugar: The sugar helps to balance out the sauce. However, you can omit the sugar if you prefer and use a pinch or so of baking soda instead.
- Salt: The salt can be adjusted to taste.
- Italian seasoning: If you don’t have Italian seasoning, you can use a combination of dried basil, dried oregano, dried thyme, dried marjoram, and dried rosemary.
Store the sauce in an airtight container. This sauce can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To freeze, let the cooked sauce cool to room temperature. Pour the sauce into a freezer-safe container and freeze.
To use, thaw overnight in the fridge. Then, reheat until warmed through.
More homemade sauce recipes!
If you’ve tried this homemade pizza sauce recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Pinch red pepper flakes optional
- Heat a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- When hot, add olive oil and reduce heat to low.
- Stir in garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes, or just until the garlic is soft and fragrant. You don't want the garlic to brown, or it can get bitter.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and a pinch of red pepper flakes, if using. Stir to combine.
- Cover the saucepan.
- Let simmer for 20-30 minutes over low, stirring occasionally.
- Let the sauce cool for at least 10 minutes before using.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!