Yay for make ahead meals! I actually made this Cheesy Hash Brown Chicken Bake - freezer meal a couple months ago while I was pregnant and put it in the freezer for later.
Well, now it's later, and I'm loving that I have a freezer full of dinners that I just have to reheat. In addition to being freezer friendly, this meal is family friendly.
You can't go wrong with cheesy potatoes for kids, and my husband was also a fan. This Cheesy Hash Brown Chicken Bake - freezer meal is also a great way to turn leftover rotisserie or cooked chicken into a whole new meal.
Cheesy Hash Brown Chicken Bake - Freezer Meal
- 3 c . chicken (cooked and cubed)
- 1 c . fat-free Greek yogurt
- 15 oz . can chicken broth
- 1 can 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup
- 2 teaspoon . chicken bouillon granules
- ½ onion (finely chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon . garlic powder
- 30-32 oz . package frozen shredded hash browns (thawed)
- ½ teaspoon . salt
- ¼ teaspoon . ground black pepper
- 1 ½ c . shredded cheddar cheese
- Grease two 9x9 or 8x11 pans. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together chicken, yogurt, broth, cream of chicken soup, bouillon, onion, peppers, and garlic powder.
- Pour half of chicken mixture into each pan.
- Cover chicken mixture with hash browns.
- Season hasbrowns with salt and pepper.
- To eat now, bake one pan for about 30 minutes, or until hash browns are browned.
- Sprinkle with ¾ cup cheese and continue to bake for about 5-10 more minutes, or until cheese melts.
- To freeze for later, after step 5, cover one pan tightly with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Freeze until ready to use. You can put a baggie in with the cheese.
- When ready to eat, thaw overnight. Bake as directed above, adding about 15 or so extra minutes to the cooking time.
Slightly adapted from Families on the Go!