Yay for make ahead meals! I actually made this Cheesy Hash Brown Chicken Bake – freezer meal a couple months ago while I was pregnant and put it in the freezer for later.
Well, now it’s later, and I’m loving that I have a freezer full of dinners that I just have to reheat. In addition to being freezer friendly, this meal is family friendly.
You can’t go wrong with cheesy potatoes for kids, and my husband was also a fan. This Cheesy Hash Brown Chicken Bake – freezer meal is also a great way to turn leftover rotisserie or cooked chicken into a whole new meal.
Cheesy Hash Brown Chicken Bake - Freezer Meal
- 3 c . chicken cooked and cubed
- 1 c . fat-free Greek yogurt
- 15 oz . can chicken broth
- 1 can 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup
- 2 tsp . chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 tsp . garlic powder
- 30-32 oz . package frozen shredded hash browns thawed
- 1/2 tsp . salt
- 1/4 tsp . ground black pepper
- 1 ½ c . shredded cheddar cheese
- Grease two 9x9 or 8x11 pans. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together chicken, yogurt, broth, cream of chicken soup, bouillon, onion, peppers, and garlic powder.
- Pour half of chicken mixture into each pan.
- Cover chicken mixture with hash browns.
- Season hasbrowns with salt and pepper.
- To eat now, bake one pan for about 30 minutes, or until hash browns are browned.
- Sprinkle with 3/4 cup cheese and continue to bake for about 5-10 more minutes, or until cheese melts.
- To freeze for later, after step 5, cover one pan tightly with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Freeze until ready to use. You can put a baggie in with the cheese.
- When ready to eat, thaw overnight. Bake as directed above, adding about 15 or so extra minutes to the cooking time.
Slightly adapted from Families on the Go!
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!