I’m not sure why I love making cookie sandwiches so much. Ok, that’s not true. A cookie sandwich is two cookies with some sort of yummy filling in between, so what’s not to love!
And there is plenty to love about these cookies. Since I’m such a huge fan of cinnamon rolls, these Cinnamon Roll Sandwich Cookies are some of my favorite cookies that I’ve ever made. They are thick and soft and cinnamon-y. They’re spread with a tangy, cream cheese filling, and then they’re topped with another soft, cinnamon-y cookie. So, these Cinnamon Roll Cookies are the best parts of a cinnamon roll in one, delicious little cookie sandwich.
Cinnamon Roll Cookies
- 1 c . butter
- 1 c . brown sugar
- 1/3 c . granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 T . vanilla extract
- 3 c ½ . all-purpose flour
- 2 T . cornstarch
- 1 tsp ½ . baking soda
- 1 tsp . ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp . kosher salt or 1/4 tsp. salt
Cream Cheese Filling
- 6 oz . cream cheese at room temperature (reduced fat ok)
- 1/4 c . plain Greek yogurt nonfat ok
- 1/2 tsp . vanilla extract
- 1 c ½ - 2 . powdered sugar
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Let the butter cook until it just starts to brown.
- Pour the melted butter into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a large bowl if using an electric mixer).
- Add the sugars, and beat together until fluffy and well-combined.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Stir in vanilla extract until incorporated.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Stir in flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Cover, and refrigerate (or freeze if you’re in a hurry) for at least 6 hours (or 4 hours in the freezer). If you put the dough in the freezer, you'll need to set it out while the oven preheats.
- When you’re ready to bake the cookies, preheat oven to 350 F. Line two cookie sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Drop scoops of dough onto prepared cookie sheets using a medium cookie scoop (1 ½ tablespoons).
- Bake for 7-9 minutes. You want the edges to be just barely golden brown.
- Remove from oven, and let cool for 5-10 minutes on the cookie sheet.
- Transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.
- To make the filling, beat cream cheese and yogurt together until well-combined.
- Add the vanilla extract, and stir until it’s incorporated.
- Add enough powdered sugar to make it spreadable.
- Once the cookies have cooled, spread half of them with the cream cheese filling.
- Top with the remaining cookies.
- Store any leftover cookies in the refrigerator.
- This recipe makes about 28 cookie sandwiches.