Cranberry Upside-Down Cake is a homemade white cake topped with a layer of buttery brown sugar topping and fresh cranberries. This one-bowl cake makes a delicious Thanksgiving dessert!
This cranberry upside-down cake takes the homemade white cake from my pineapple upside-down cake and gives it a tasty fall topping of fresh cranberries and buttery brown sugar.
Not only is the cake delicious, but it’s also easy to make! The cake batter comes together in minutes, and it’s made in just one bowl. So it makes a quick dessert for your Thanksgiving dinner!
How to make cranberry upside-down cake
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 F.
Step 2: To make the topping, melt butter and brown sugar together in a small saucepan.
Step 3: Pour the brown sugar mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan.
Step 4: Sprinkle cranberries over the brown sugar mixture. Set aside.
Step 5: Add butter and sugar to a large bowl. Beat until well-combined.
Step 6: Add milk, egg, and vanilla. Mix until combined.
Step 7: Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt just until combined.
Step 8: Pour batter over cranberries, smoothing as needed.
Step 9: Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Step 10: Run a thin knife around the edge of the pan. Invert onto a platter while warm.
- Brown sugar: I use light brown sugar in this cake. Light brown sugar or dark brown sugar will work.
- Butter: I use salted butter. If you use unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt to the topping and increase the salt by a pinch or two in the cake.
- Milk: Any milk, from skim milk to whole milk, will work. Nondairy milk, like almond milk, could also be used.
- It’s easier to remove the cake with the topping attached if it is inverted while still warm.
- If some of the topping sticks to the pan, simply replace it on top of the cake.
Store any leftover cake in an airtight container at room temperature. The cake will keep for about 2-3 days when properly stored at room temperature.
More cranberry recipes!
If you’ve tried this cranberry upside-down cake recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
- 9 inch round cake pan
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- ¼ cup butter softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup milk at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- To make the topping, melt butter and brown sugar together in a small saucepan.
- Pour the brown sugar mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Sprinkle cranberries over the brown sugar mixture. Set aside.
- Add butter and sugar to a large bowl. Beat until well-combined.
- Add milk, egg, and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt just until combined.
- Pour batter over cranberries, smoothing as needed.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Run a thin knife around the edge of the pan.
- Invert onto a platter while warm.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!