Easy homemade graham cracker recipe! This simple recipe takes less than 30 minutes and makes the best graham crackers.
We go through a lot of graham crackers in our house. My kids love to snack on them, and I spread them with peanut butter for quick and easy lunches.
Since we go through about a box a week, I decided that it was time to try making them. Turns out, they're simple to make, and we loved them!
These graham cracker (cookies) have a lot more flavor, and they're really easy (and fun) to make.
How To Make Homemade Graham Crackers
In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt until combined.
Add the cubed butter. The butter should be cold, not softened.
Mix in the butter until it forms large crumbs.
Add the wet ingredients, and mix until the dough comes together. The dough will still be quite dry and crumbly at this point.
If you press the dough together, it should hold. If not, you may need to add additional water. However, it won't be a wet-type cookie dough.
Place the dough between two sheets of parchment paper, and roll dough to ⅛-inch thick. Rolling the dough thicker will give you a softer cookie.
Prick the dough at regular intervals with a fork. Place the parchement on a baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes.
Cut the graham crackers into squares without separating, and continue to bake for 5 additional minutes.
Tips To Make Graham Crackers
- This is a crumbly dough. It isn't wet like a typical cookie dough. The dough should have just enough moisture in it to hold together.
- If your dough doesn't hold together, add additional water until it just holds together when pressed.
- Rolling the dough thinner makes for a crispier cookie. Rolling the dough thicker makes for a softer cookie.
How to Store Graham Crackers
Graham crackers soften easily, especially if it's humid. I recommend storing them in an airtight container to help them stay crisp.
Also, the graham crackers are best eaten within 3-4 days are they're made.
Ways To Use Homemade Graham Crackers
Besides just eating them as-is, we like to use these graham crackers to make s'mores. My kids also love nut butters (peanut butter, almond butter) spread between the graham crackers.
More Homemade Cookie Recipes!
If you’ve tried this homemade graham cracker recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes!
Homemade Graham Crackers
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour (properly measured1)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (properly measured)
- ½ cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup butter (chilled & cubed)
- ¼ cup .mild honey
- ¼ cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In in the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl if using a hand mixer), stir together flours, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add butter to the mix until it makes coarse crumbs.
- Stir in honey and water until dough comes together. Dough will be crumbly.2
- Place dough between two sheets of parchment paper, and roll into a flat disk that is about ⅛-inch thick.
- Place dough on the parchment paper in prepared pan.
- Prick the dough at regular intervals with a fork.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the graham crackers into desired size. Do not separate.
- Return pan to oven and continue to bake for 5 additional minutes, or until cookies are crisp.
- Remove cookies to a wire cooling rack to cool.
- Cookies are delicious served warm or at room temperature.
- To properly measure the flours, stir or sift the flour so it isn't packed. Lightly spoon into a measuring cup, and then level the flour off.
- If you press the dough together, it should hold. If not, you may need to add additional water. However, it won't be a wet-type cookie dough.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Published 7/2/13. Last updated 7/10/19.