Easy homemade taco seasoning recipe! This simple taco seasoning recipe takes just a few simple pantry spices and less than 5 minutes to make.
As convenient as it can be to grab a seasoning packet at the store, there are definiately advantages to making your own!
It’s nice to be able to choose what you put into your seasoning blend. You can customize it to your tastes, and you can leave out all of the additives.
Also, it’s handy to be able to make your own spice blends in case you don’t want to run to the store. This recipe uses pantry staples, and it takes just minutes to stir together.
It’s super fast and super easy!
How to make taco seasoning
It’s super easy to make homemade taco seasoning!
Step 1: Mix the spices together.
Step 2: Store in an air-tight container.
Taco seasoning FAQs
Taco seasoning in made of a blend of chile powder, cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and sugar.
No, the sugar helps to balance the seasoning blend out, but you can omit it if you prefer.
You can! Simply add more chile powder or add crushed red pepper flakes. If you like things even spicier, add both!
How to use homemade taco seasoning to make tacos
- To make tacos, use about 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning to every pound of ground beef.
- Brown the ground beef, and drain the grease.
- Return the beef to the pan along with the taco seasoning and 3/4 cup water (for every pound of beef).
- Cook until most of the water has evaporated and the beef is saucy.
Recipes that use taco seasoning
If you’ve tried this taco seasoning recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chili powder1
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt2
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder NOT garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder NOT onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar3
- In a small bowl, stir all ingredients together until well-combined
- Store in an air-tight container.
- Ancho or regular chile powder
- Or 1 teaspoon table salt
- Can omit the sugar if you prefer.
- This recipe makes a mild taco seasoning. If you prefer a hotter blend, add additional chile powder or add crushed red pepper flakes (or both).
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @i_heart_eating and follow on Youtube @katedean and Pinterest @katedean for more!
Originally published 4/10/13. Updated 7/7/19.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!
Comments & Reviews
doracruz cordua says
like to know for 1 lb of beef how much of the mix?
Hi! About 2 paragraphs above the recipe, there’s a section that talks about how to make tacos with this seasoning. It includes the directions and the amounts per pound. Hope that helps!
Your spices are spot on. The ancho chili adds great flavor. I know you you will think me silly, but I have to add a bit of parsley to blend in some Irish heritage!
Thank you! I’m so glad! No, I don’t think you’re silly at all! It’s those little twists that make a recipe perfect. =) Thanks for commenting!
Great recipe! Very easy to make.
Good! I’m so glad that you liked it. Thanks for commenting! =)