Easy homemade taco seasoning recipe! This simple taco seasoning recipe takes just a few simple pantry spices to make.
As convenient as it can be to grab a seasoning packet at the store, there are definiately advantages to making your own!
It’s nice to be able to choose what you put into your seasoning blend. You can customize it to your tastes, and you can leave out all of the additives.
Also, it’s handy to be able to make your own spice blends in case you don’t want to run to the store. This recipe uses pantry staples, and it takes just minutes to stir together.
It’s super fast and super easy!
How To Make Taco Seasoning
It’s super easy to make homemade taco seasoning! Simply mix the spices together and store in an air-tight container.
What Is Taco Seasoning Made Of?
Taco seasoning is a blend of chile powder, cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and sugar.
Can I Make Spicy Taco Seasoning?
You can! Simply add more chile powder or add crushed red pepper flakes. If you like things even hotter, feel free to do both!
How To Make Tacos With Homemade Taco Seasoning
- To make tacos, use about 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning to every pound of ground beef.
- Brown the ground beef, and drain the grease.
- Return the beef to the pan along with the taco seasoning and 3/4 cup water (for every pound of beef).
- Cook until most of the water has evaporated and the beef is saucy.
Recipes That Use Taco Seasoning
If you’ve tried this taco seasoning recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chili powder1
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt2
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (NOT garlic salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder (NOT onion salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar3
- In a small bowl, stir all ingredients together until well-combined
- Store in an air-tight container.
- Ancho or regular chile powder
- Or 1 teaspoon table salt
- Can omit the sugar if you prefer.
- This recipe makes a mild taco seasoning. If you prefer a hotter blend, add additional chile powder or add crushed red pepper flakes (or both).
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Originally published 4/10/13. Updated 7/7/19.