Instant Pot dulce de leche recipe takes sweetened condensed milk and transforms it into rich and creamy caramel. The pressure cooker speeds up the process so that the dulce de leche can be made in less than an hour.
Dulce de leche is a rich and creamy caramel sauce. It’s a simple, one ingredient recipe that is a snap to make.
This method shortens the cooking time for making dulce de leche by using the Instant Pot pressure cooker instead of the stove top or a slow cooker. So you can enjoy this delicious caramel in less time!
How to make dulce de leche in the Instant Pot
Step 1: Remove the label and the adhesive from the can of sweetened condensed milk.
Step 2: Place a trivet in the bottom of your Instant Pot inner pot.
Step 3: Set the can of sweetened condensed milk on top of your trivet.
Step 4: Fill your Instant Pot inner pot with enough water to cover the entire can.
Top tip >> If you place the can so that it’s lying down on the trivet, you can use less water.
Step 5: Close and lock the lid. Turn the pressure release valve to sealing.
Step 6: Cook on Manual High pressure for 35 minutes.
Step 7: When the cooking cycle is complete, do a quick release and carefully release the steam. Unlock and remove the lid.
Step 8: Carefully remove the can with tongs. It will be very, very hot.
Step 9: Let it cool completely before opening the can.
Step 10: Once cool, open the can and pour into an airtight container.
Top tip >> It’s important to allow the can to completely cool down before opening so it remains silky and darkens a bit more.
- Check the can: Check the check for dents and dings before using. You won’t want to use a dented can in this recipe.
- Remove the label: It’s important to remove the label and adhesive so that it doesn’t leave residue in the inner pot.
- Caution: This is one recipe that you’ll want to take extra caution with. The can will be incredibly hot when the cooking cycle finishes, so please be very careful when removing the can from the hot water.
You can! You can lay two cans on their sides on the trivet. Just make sure that both cans are completely covered by the water.
No, it doesn’t matter. You may find that you prefer one brand or another, so feel free to experiment.
No, evaporated milk won’t work in this recipe as it doesn’t have the necessary sweetness.
Ways to use dulce de leche
Dulce de leche can be used similarly to caramel sauce, but it has a thicker consistency. It makes a great dip for apples, can be drizzled over ice cream, and makes a delicious topping for desserts like cheesecake and brownies.
It also makes a delicious filling for cookies like alfajores and for cakes.
Pour the dulce de leche into an airtight container, like a jar, and store in the refrigerator.
It will keep for about a week, but it’s best eaten within a few days.
You may also like
If you’ve tried this buttermilk syrup recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Instant Pot Dulce de Leche
- Instant Pot/electric pressure cooker
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- Remove the label and the adhesive from the can of sweetened condensed milk.
- Place a trivet in the bottom of your Instant Pot inner pot.
- Set the can of sweetened condensed milk on top of your trivet.
- Fill your Instant Pot inner pot with enough water to cover the entire can.
- Close and lock the lid.
- Cook on Manual High pressure for 35 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle is complete, carefully release the pressure.
- Unlock and remove the lid.
- Carefully remove the can with tongs. It will be very, very hot.
- Let it cool completely before opening the can.
- Once cool, open the can and pour into an airtight container.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!