Sour cream pancakes are light and fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth pancakes! This homemade pancake recipe is super quick and so easy to make.
Pancakes are one of those foods that once you make from scratch, you never want to use a box mix again!
These sour cream pancakes are a close cousin to my buttermilk pancakes. They’re light and fluffy with a melt-in-your-mouth texture that can’t be beat!
The pancakes are also incredibly easy to make. They are made with just a few simple ingredients and only take about 5 minutes to whisk together.
So, they’re a quick breakfast-for-dinner or weekend breakfast recipe.
How to make light and fluffy sour cream pancakes
Begin by whisking the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder together in a large bowl.
Add the sour cream, milk, eggs, and vanilla.
Whisk in the wet ingredients just until combined. You don’t want to overmix the pancake batter or the pancakes will be tough.
Can I use yogurt instead of sour cream?
I recommend stirring the yogurt well before using.
I’ve used plain, nonfat Greek yogurt to make the pancakes, and it worked out well. The pancakes were slightly less soft and fluffy with the nonfat Greek yogurt.
However, using 2% or whole milk yogurt may help with that.
How do I know when to flip the pancakes?
It will be time to flip the pancakes when bubbles rise and pop in the pancakes.
Also, the edges of the pancake will also look drier and set.
What to serve on pancakes
These pancakes are great topped with butter and maple syrup.
If you want to try something a little different, they’re also great topped with fruit and buttermilk syrup.
Can you freeze the pancakes?
You can! Simply let the cooked pancakes cool to room temperature.
Then, put them in a single layer in a resealable bag.
If you have more than one layer of pancakes, separate the layers with waxed paper.
To reheat, warm the pancakes in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
Then, pop them in the toaster oven (not the toaster), or warm them on a cookie sheet in oven at 225F until hot.
More pancake recipes!
If you’ve tried this sour cream pancake recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Sour Cream Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour¹
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream²
- 1 cup milk³
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk togerher the dry ingredients until combined.
- Add the sour cream, milk, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk together until combined. Do not overmix.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low.
- Add butter, and melt.
- Spoon the pancake batter into the pan to make 3 or 4 pancakes.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, until bubbles rise and pop. The edges should look drier and set.
- Flip the pancakes, and then cook for another minute or until lightly browned.
- Repeat with additional butter and batter.
- Be sure to properly measure the flour for light and fluffy panackes. Either weigh the flour, or stir or sift, lightly spoon into the measuring cup, and then level.
- I recommend using regular sour cream; however, reduced-fat will work. I don't recommend fat-free sour cream for this recipe.
- Anything from skim to whole milk will work, but I recommend either 2% or whole milk for this recipe.
- Nutrition values are estimates.