Mississippi Mud Cookies are soft and chewy chocolate cookies that are full of pecans and chocolate and are topped with gooey marshmallows.
These Mississippi Mud Cookies fall on the not-so-plain end. They are soft in the middle with chewy edges, and the cookies are full of chopped pecans and melty chocolate.
And they’re topped with gooey marshmallows.
They’re also super easy to make, which is great because they’ll disappear in no time.
How To Make Mississippi Mud Cookies
I like to make this recipe by hand. It’s harder to overmix the cookie dough when mixing it by hand.
Melt the butter in a large, heavy saucepan. The butter should be just melted, not sizzling hot or browned.
Remove from heat, and whisk in the brown sugar. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
Whisk in the egg and egg yolk until combined. Stir in the vanilla extract.
Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in just until incorporated. Don’t overmix.
Add the chopped pecans and chopped chocolate. Stir in just until incorporated.
Drop scoops of dough 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 6 minutes.
Top the cookies with 3 marshmallows per cookie. Return to the oven, and continue to bake for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until the edges are set.
Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet. Remove to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling.
Tips To Make Perfect Chocolate Cookies
- I prefer to mix the cookie dough by hand. I think it helps the cookie texture (soft in the middle with chewy edges).
- Don’t overcook the butter. It should be just barely melted. It doesn’t need to be hot and shouldn’t be browned.
- You can omit the pecans if you prefer.
- Don’t overbake the cookies. The cookies should look soft and a little underdone in the middle. This helps them to stay soft after they’ve cooled.
More Chocolate Cookie Recipes!
If you’ve tried this Mississippi mud cookie recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Mississippi Mud Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour¹
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt²
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 4 ounces chopped semisweet baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375 Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan.
- Remove from heat, and stir brown sugar into melted butter.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add egg and egg yolk; stir to combine.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir until just combined.
- Stir in pecans and chopped chocolate just until incorporated.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (1.5 tablespoon), drop scoops of dough 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 6 minutes.
- Gently press 3 marshmallows into the top of each cookie.3
- Continue to bake for 2-3 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are set.
- Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes.
- Remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
- Correctly measuring the ingredients is key. I suggest either weighing the ingredients or aerating the flour (sifting or fluffing) and then scooping and leveling. Packing in too much flour will cause the cookies not to spread or to be dry and crumbly.
- Or scant 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- Or you can let the cookies finish baking, and immediately press marshmallows into the top of the baked cookies.
- I recommend stirring this recipe together by hand rather than using a hand or stand mixer.
- Nutrition values are estimates.