This post was created as part of a relationship in which I was sponsored by Weight Watchers and given a free three month subscription to try their new Personal Coaching product and write about my experience. Though I was compensated for my time and commitment, all views, positive and negative, are my own. #WeightWatchers #WWsponsored
I’m back with an update about my Weight Watchers experience and another Weight Watchers-friendly recipe. This has been such a crazy month! By the time it’s over, I’ll have spent 9 days in the car with a 5 year-old, a 2 year-old, and a 3 month-old, and that is a lot of time in the car for little ones (and for not-so-little ones, too!).
One of the things that I’ve talked with my coach about is how busy things have been. She helped me come up with a plan to get through the traveling and just everyday schedule overload. I am finding that if I don’t have a plan in place, then things tend to go wrong eating-wise. It’s really easy to just reach for whatever is around when I’m hungry and tired from a busy day. So, I have to make sure that I have healthy snacks on hand and plan ahead for meals.
This Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken is one of my new go-to meals. It’s really easy to toss into the slow cooker in the morning. Since I work from home, it’s easy for me to just add in the last couple ingredients in between meetings or other things that I have going on during the day. If you’re not home during the day to add the items in, this is a great option for the weekend, and it reheats really well. It also relies on spices, fruit, and veggies instead of fats to give it tons of flavor.
I really like that this recipe incorporates fruit and veggies with lots of flavor. One of the big things that I’m working on is focusing on getting healthy, and I’ve actually been feeling better since I’ve been eating healthier food, which, I guess shouldn’t be surprising. But it does feel good. Plus, I’ve been branching out with recipes like this one, and it’s been fun incorporating yummy, easy recipes into our diet. So, if you’re looking for a quick and healthy recipe, this Moroccan chicken is definitely one to try!
Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken
- 1 yellow or white onion
- 3 lbs . boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp . ground cumin
- 1 tsp . ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp . ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp . ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp . cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 c . low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed, 15 .
- 1 c . peeled sliced carrot (about 1 large carrot)
- 1/2 c . green olives halved
- 1/2 c . dried apricots halved or quartered
- Salt and black pepper
- 1/4 c . sliced almonds
- Cut the onion in half lengthwise, and then cut it into thin slices.
- Place the onion on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken over the onion slices.
- In a small bowl, stir together cumin, ginger, coriander, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle seasonings over chicken and onion.
- Add bay leaf and chicken broth to slow cooker. I pour the broth around the sides so it doesn’t wash all of the seasoning off of the chicken.
- Cover, and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Stir in the chickpeas, carrot, olives, and apricots.
- Cover, and cook until the chicken is tender and cooked through and the apricots are plump, about additional 2 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Shred chicken with two forks, if desired.
- Serve over couscous or quinoa, if desired, and sprinkle with the toasted almonds just before serving.