Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Follow Me on Pinterest

On Friday, I shared a recipe for Hot Chocolate Cake. But what’s a great cake without a great frosting? So, today I give you a delicious Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.

Not too long ago, I shared a recipe for a whipped chocolate buttercream frosting. It’s delicious, but it can be a little temperamental. This Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, on the other hand, is pretty fuss-free. It’s a great basic, chocolate buttercream that is about as easy to make and easy to work with as it gets. And, most importantly, it tastes great!

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

• 1 c. salted butter, at room temperature
  • 3½-4 c. powdered sugar
  • 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2-3 T. whole milk, half-and-half, or cream
Instructions
  1. With an electric mixer (either hand or stand), beat butter until pale, about 3-4 minutes on medium.
  2. Scrape down the bowl.
  3. Add 3½ cups powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of milk.
  4. Mix on low until powdered sugar and cocoa powder are incorporated.
  5. If the frosting is too dry, add another tablespoon of milk. If the frosting is too wet, add powdered sugar 2 tablespoons at a time until it reaches a spreadable consistency.

Lighter Version Grandma's Chocolate Sheet Cake Peanut Butter S'mores Baked Doughnuts Fudgy Brownies Image Map

Share >Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestGoogle+Email to someone

Comments

1. abukasas says

If I want to make some other flavored buttercream (strawberry or coffee or lime), how many tablespoons should I put in?

I also don’t like too sweet buttercream frosting. I cannot wait to try this recipe.

Thanks.

2. Wendy k says

This was pretty bitter. I think the half cup of cocoa was a bit excessive in taste, and consistency since I needed way more than 3 tbsp of liquid. I was able to salvage it by adding caramel sauce and making it palatable.

Yours is the first negative comment that I’ve gotten about this recipe. It sounds like you like things sweeter than I do. Glad your were able to make it work to suit your tastes.

• Debra Hutchinson says

I, too, found the icing to be way to bitter for my taste.
      Kate is right, if you like things on the sweet side (I do)
      than back off the cocoa. The next time I make it I’ll start
      with 1/4 cup cocoa and go from there. I’m certain my husband
      will love it though because he’s not a sugaraholic like me.
      Thanks for sharing!

I’m sorry that you found it to be too bitter. I know sweetness is definitely a matter of taste (as I find many frostings to be too sweet). I hope you find the 1/4 cup more to your liking! =)

3. Brook says

Getting ready to make cupcakes and going to use this recipe for the icing. I can’t wait to taste it and decorate with it! Planning on adding chocolate covered strawberries to the top as well. Thank you for sharing your recipe!

4. Joanne says

I made some of this recently and will never buy premade frosting again. Also found a recipe for cream cheese frosting that’s just as amazing

I’ve never tried to substitute coconut oil for some of the butter in a buttercream. Usually, you can substitute about 1/3 of a cup of coconut oil for 1/2 cup butter. I I’ve never tried to whip coconut oil, so I’m not sure how it will work since so much of the structure and volume are provided by the whipped butter. If you do try it, I would love for you to let me know how it works!

Yes, you can use 2% milk. If you use whole milk or half-and-half, the frosting will be a little creamier. The frosting will still be just fine if you use 2 % instead. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

The frosting does set up. I’m a novice when it comes to decorating, and I think it’s easy to work with. I don’t really do more than pipe with it, so I’m not sure how well it will work for anything beyond piping, though. I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.