On Friday, I shared a recipe for Hot Chocolate Cake. But what’s a great cake without a great frosting? So, today I give you a delicious Chocolate Buttercream Frosting recipe.
Not too long ago, I shared a recipe for a whipped chocolate buttercream frosting. It’s delicious, but it can be a little temperamental. This Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, on the other hand, is pretty fuss-free. It’s a great basic, chocolate buttercream that is about as easy to make and easy to work with as it gets. And, most importantly, it tastes great!
- 1 c. salted butter, at room temperature
- 3½-4 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-3 T. whole milk, half-and-half, or cream
- With an electric mixer (either hand or stand), beat butter until pale, about 3-4 minutes on medium.
- Scrape down the bowl.
- Add 3½ cups powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of milk.
- Mix on low until powdered sugar and cocoa powder are incorporated.
- If the frosting is too dry, add another tablespoon of milk. If the frosting is too wet, add powdered sugar 2 tablespoons at a time until it reaches a spreadable consistency.