Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Follow Me on Pinterest

On Friday, I shared a recipe for Hot Chocolate Cake. But what’s a great cake without a great frosting? So, today I give you a delicious Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.

Not too long ago, I shared a recipe for a whipped chocolate buttercream frosting. It’s delicious, but it can be a little temperamental. This Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, on the other hand, is pretty fuss-free. It’s a great basic, chocolate buttercream that is about as easy to make and easy to work with as it gets. And, most importantly, it tastes great!

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

1 c. salted butter, at room temperature
3½-4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2-3 T. whole milk, half-and-half, or cream

Directions

1. With an electric mixer (either hand or stand), beat butter until pale, about 3-4 minutes on medium.
  2. Scrape down the bowl.
  3. Add 3½ cups powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of milk.
  4. Mix on low until powdered sugar and cocoa powder are incorporated.
  5. If the frosting is too dry, add another tablespoon of milk. If the frosting is too wet, add powdered sugar 2 tablespoons at a time until it reaches a spreadable consistency.

Lighter Version Grandma's Chocolate Sheet Cake Peanut Butter S'mores Baked Doughnuts Fudgy Brownies Image Map

Comments

1. Brook says

Getting ready to make cupcakes and going to use this recipe for the icing. I can’t wait to taste it and decorate with it! Planning on adding chocolate covered strawberries to the top as well. Thank you for sharing your recipe!

2. Joanne says

I made some of this recently and will never buy premade frosting again. Also found a recipe for cream cheese frosting that’s just as amazing

3. Rosa Jacquard Bood says

Can coconut oil be substituted for some of the butter? What would the ratio be? Thanks !

I’ve never tried to substitute coconut oil for some of the butter in a buttercream. Usually, you can substitute about 1/3 of a cup of coconut oil for 1/2 cup butter. I I’ve never tried to whip coconut oil, so I’m not sure how it will work since so much of the structure and volume are provided by the whipped butter. If you do try it, I would love for you to let me know how it works!

Yes, you can use 2% milk. If you use whole milk or half-and-half, the frosting will be a little creamier. The frosting will still be just fine if you use 2 % instead. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

The frosting does set up. I’m a novice when it comes to decorating, and I think it’s easy to work with. I don’t really do more than pipe with it, so I’m not sure how well it will work for anything beyond piping, though. I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.