Originally published 6/3/13. Updated with new photos and information 4/10/18.
Broccoli Salad is an easy side dish or light lunch or dinner that’s made with broccoli, dried cranberries, bacon, and lots of other yummy ingredients!
The first time that I had a broccoli salad was when I was trying a little bit of everything from an all-you-can-eat buffet. It was tasty, but it was really sweet and really mayonnaise-y.
Still, I liked the idea of making a coleslaw-like side salad with broccoli. I just wanted to make a lighter, tastier version that let the flavor of the ingredients come through.
What makes this broccoli salad different?
- I do a few things differently with this salad. I added more veggies – carrots and celery – to give it even more crunch.
- I also use light mayonnaise (olive oil mayonnaise works well) and Greek yogurt in the dressing. I use Greek yogurt in almost everything because it’s such a great substitute for everything from butter to oil to mayonnaise to sour cream. This way you still get plenty of creamy dressing, but it doesn’t taste like you’re just eating mayo.
- I use just enough sugar to make the dressing sweet without it being overly sugary.
- I also use craisins (dried cranberries) rather than raisins. I like the sweet and tangy flavor that they bring to this salad.
How long does broccoli salad last in the fridge?
It’s best the first 2 days. After that the veggies begin to break down, and it’s just not as fresh or as good.
More easy salad recipes!
If you’ve tried this broccoli salad recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Broccoli Salad is an easy side dish or light lunch or dinner that's made with broccoli, dried cranberries, bacon, and lots of other yummy ingredients!
- 5 cups broccoli florets cut into small pieces
- 1 ½ cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup 2% sharp cheddar cheese in small cubes
- 3 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup sunflower seeds divided
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2-4 tablespoons granulated sugar depending on desired sweetness (I use 3 T.)
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- In a large bowl, stir together vegetables, cheese, bacon, 3/4 cup sunflower seeds, and cranberries.
- Whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Add dressing to salad, and toss to combine.
- Cover, and refrigerate until chilled.
- Serve cold, and top with remaining 1/4 cup sunflower seeds just before serving.
*Nutrition values are estimates.
Nutrition facts per serving (1g)