Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies made with all brown sugar and brown butter for rich, buttery chewy chocolate chip cookies!
Originally published 8/27/12. Updated with new photos 5/2/18.
Brown butter makes for some delicious cookies!
This recipe is basically my traditional all brown sugar chocolate chip cookie recipe taken up a couple notches.
These cookies are chewy and buttery and sweet and just a little salty. In other words, they’re pretty much just what you’d want in your chocolate chip cookies.
More chocolate chip cookie recipes!
- Easiest Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
- Muffin Tin Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you’ve tried this brown butter chocolate chip cookie recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar (packed)
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Sea salt (optional)
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. The butter will begin to foam. Whisk butter regularly as it cooks.
- After a couple of minutes, the butter will begin to brown on the bottom of the saucepan. Continue to whisk, and remove from heat as soon as the butter begins to turn amber brown and smells rich and nutty.
- Stir in brown sugar.
- Set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes or until cool enough to touch.
- Whisk in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients, and stir in until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Cover, and chill dough for at least 1 hour.
- Once dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 375 F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- If the dough has been in the fridge for longer and has gotten really hard, take dough out to sit while you preheat the oven.
- Scoop out 1.5 tablespoons dough (medium cookie scoop), and place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 6-11 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are golden brown. The centers should still look underdone.
- Let the cookies cool on the sheets for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle lightly with coarse sea salt, if using, and remove to wire cooling rack to finish cooling.