I love all of the food at this time of year!
There is so much great comfort food that so many memories that go along with it.
Now that I'm usually the one doing the cooking, I mix in family recipes with new favorites.
One of our traditional desserts is bread pudding.
So, whenever we go out to eat, I order bread pudding for dessert if it's on the menu.
As much as I love bread pudding, though, they're sometimes overly sweet.
I tried to find more of a balance with this Cinnamon Swirl Bread Pudding with Maple Butter Rum Raisin Sauce.
I left the sugar out of the bread pudding and found that no one missed it.
Between the plump, naturally sweet raisins and the maple syrup, the sauce was rich and buttery and sweet - the perfect complement to the creamy cinnamon bread pudding.
Plus, as far as comfort foods go, it's hard to beat some warm bread pudding on a cold winter's night - unless it's with some cold bread pudding for breakfast in the morning!
Seriously, if you've never eaten it cold, try it! It is incredible!
More bread pudding recipes!
- Crock Pot Triple Chocolate Bread Pudding Recipe
- Caramel Apple Bread Pudding
- German Chocolate Cake Bread Pudding
Cinnamon Swirl Bread Pudding with Maple Butter Rum Raisin Sauce
- 10 ounce loaf cinnamon swirl bread
- 2 cups half-and-half (regular or fat-free)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Maple Butter Rum Raisin Sauce
- ½ cup real maple syrup
- ½ cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- Pinch baking soda
- For the bread pudding, preheat oven to 325 F.
- Cut bread into cubes, and add to a baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together half and half, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Pour over bread cubes.
- Let the bread stand for about 20 minutes to absorb some of the liquid.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until done. If it starts to get too brown, tent with foil.
- To make the sauce, add maple syrup, raisins, butter, and rum extract to a small saucepan.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in baking soda.
- Serve bread pudding warm or cold topped with sauce.