For chocolate lovers only! This Crock Pot Triple Chocolate Bread Pudding is a seriously chocolate slow cooker dessert recipe!
Published 12/30/15. Updated with new photos and tips 1/17/19.
Do you love chocolate? If so, then I have just the dessert for you!
This Crock Pot Triple Chocolate Bread Pudding is a rich, chocolate bread pudding that "bakes" entirely in the slow cooker.
This triple chocolate bread pudding is so seriously chocolaty! It's the kind of dessert that I love - warm and homey and comforting. It couldn't be simpler to make, and it's a great way to use up any French bread that's getting stale.
Top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (or chocolate if you are a serious chocoholic) for a sweet dessert that is so easy to make!
How to make chocolate bread pudding
Begin by greasing your slow cooker insert. I use a nonstick baking spray to lightly grease the insert.
Then, add the bread cubes, and top the bread cubes with the chocolate chips. You can use semisweet, milk chocolate, bittersweet, dark chocolate, or even white chocolate chips.
Next, whisk the sugars, cocoa powder, milk, half-and-half, eggs, and vanilla together until combined. It's ok if it isn't perfectly smooth, but you don't want any large lumps of cocoa powder in the mixture.
Pour the cocoa/milk mixture over the bread cubes, and gently press the bread into the chocolate milk mixture to cover the bread cubes.
Cover the top of the slow cooker with a thin towel. You want the towel to be thin so that it doesn't interfere with the lid's seal. Then, cover with the crock pot lid, and cook!
Why do I need to use a towel?
The towel will help to absorb condensation as the bread pudding cooks. This allows the bread pudding to "bake" and helps to keep it from turning soupy.
How to serve chocolate bread pudding
This bread pudding is not super sweet. It pairs well with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.
How to make the bread pudding sweeter
For a sweeter bread pudding, you can increase the sugar in the recipe. You can also use Dutch-processed cocoa powder, and you can use milk chocolate chips for part or all of the chocolate chips in the recipe.
How to make a bittersweet bread pudding
In order to make a bittersweet bread pudding, you will want to use part or even all bittersweet chocolate chips.
How to make a reduced-fat bread pudding
If you would like to make the bread pudding with less fat, simply use fat-free half-and-half and fat-free evaporated milk.
More bread pudding recipes!
If you’ve tried this crock pot triple chocolate bread pudding recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Crock Pot Triple Chocolate Bread Pudding Recipe
- 9 cups day-old cubed French bread
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup dark or milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder¹
- 4 large eggs
- 12 oz can evaporated milk²
- ½ cup half-and-half³
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Lightly grease a medium (4-5 quart) crock pot.
- Add bread to crock pot.
- Top with chocolate chips.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugars, cocoa powder, eggs, milk, half-and-half, and vanilla. It's ok if it's a little lumpy, but you don't want big piecies of cocoa powder.
- Pour milk mixture over bread, gently pressing bread down as needed.
- Place a thin cotton towel over the top of the slow cooker.
- Cover, and cook on low for about 3-3 ½ hours.
- Dutch-processed cocoa powder will also work in this recipe.
- Skim, 2%, or full-fat will work.
- Regular or fat-free will work.
- Nutrition values are estimates.