Indian Butter Chicken recipe that can be made quickly and easily in the Instant Pot. This rich spiced chicken and sauce makes an easy weeknight meal that’s perfect over rice.
The beauty of takeout is that it’s easy. For us, the drive to grab takeout takes too long to be quick and easy.
So, I need easy dinner recipes that are just as convenient and just as easy – like this Instant Pot Indian Butter Chicken.
What is Indian Butter Chicken?
Indian butter chicken, or murgh makhani, is a dish of chicken in a rich, spiced sauce. This shortcut version uses the pressure cooker to pack a lot of flavor in in a short amount of time.
What goes with Indian Butter Chicken?
This dish goes well with basmati rice and naan bread. I like to serve it topped with a little fresh cilantro.
More Instant Pot recipes!
If you’ve tried this Instant Pot Indian Butter Chicken recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Instant Pot Indian Butter Chicken
- 1/4 cup butter (divided)
- 1 medium yellow or white onion (diced)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (minced)
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder*
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds boneless (skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream**
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- Set Instant Pot to Saute.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter, and let butter melt.
- Once butter has melted, stir in onion, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and ginger, and cook 2 minutes.
- Add spices, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring continuously, for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, and stir in.
- Stir in chicken.
- Seal and cook 8 minutes on MANUAL.
- Release pressure naturally.
- Stir in heavy cream, yogurt, and remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Serve over rice topped with fresh cilantro.