Best jam bars! This jam bar recipe has a layer of jam sandwiched between a sweet shortbread crust and topping. Easy and delicious!
One of my favorite things about the summer is all of the fresh fruit.
And one of my favorite ways to use some of that fruit is in homemade jam.
These jam bars are a delicious way to use that jam.
Whether you use homemade (or store bought) jam, these bars a simple but delicious dessert!
How to make jam bars
Begin by beating the butter and sugar together until combined.
Stir in the remaining ingredients EXCEPT jam. Don't overmix.
Press half of the dough into the prepared pan, and prick the dough with a fork.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Drop dollops of jam over the hot crust, and gently spread to cover the crust.
You can use one or more flavors of jam in the bars.
Drop pieces of remaining dough over the jam. The dough won't completely cover the jam.
Return to the oven, and continue baking for an additional 20-30 minutes.
Types of jam that work well in these bars
I recommend using a thicker jam, rather than a thinner jelly because a thinner jelly will melt as it bakes.
Any flavor can work well, but apricot, peach, strawberry, and blackberry all go well with the almond extract.
Jams with a little tang, like blackberry, are also especially delicious with the sweet shortbread crust and topping.
Do I have to use the almond extract?
No! It's optional.
Feel free to omit it if you prefer.
More Bar Recipes!
If you’ve tried this jam bar recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes!
- 1 cup butter (at cool room temperature)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup jam
- Preheat oven to 350 Line an 8x8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and powdered sugar together until combined.
- Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT jam, and stir in just until combined.
- Press half of the dough into the prepared pan.
- Prick the dough with a fork.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Drop dollops of jam over hot crust, and carefully spread to cover entire crust.
- Top jam with remaining dough.
- Continue baking for 20-30 minutes.
- Let bars cool in pan for at least 3 hours before cutting and serving.
- I recommend using a thicker jam rather than a thinner jelly in these bars.
- Nutrition values are estimates.