Crock Pot BBQ Chicken is an easy crock pot barbecue chicken recipe that’s made a simple, smoky barbecue sauce.
Originally published 7/24/12. Last updated 5/14/19.
This is one of those easy crock pot recipes that makes a great simple dinner.
I love making crock pot recipes during the warmer months because it’s a fantastic way to make dinner without heating up the chicken.
This crock pot bbq chicken cooks in a homemade sweet and smoky barbecue sauce to really get all of that delicious barbecue flavor into the meat.
How to make crock pot BBQ chicken
Place all of the barbecue sauce ingredients in a saucepan, and whisk until combined.
Heat the barbecue sauce over medium-low heat just until it begins to bubble.
Be sure to whisk the sauce as it heats.
The sauce will thicken slightly.
Season the chicken breast with salt.
Pour the warm sauce over the chicken breast.
Cover, and cook on low for 4-5 hours. The chicken is finished cooking when it shreds easily with two forks.
Let the chicken sit in the sauce, covered, on warm for about 30 minutes to absorb more of the sauce.
How to serve crock pot BBQ chicken
One of the great things about this recipe is that there are so many ways to use it!
I serve the shredded chicken on a bun along with potato salad or broccoli salad.
You can also serve this chicken in wraps, on pizza, or even on baked potatoes.
Tips to customize this recipe
- If you like a sweeter barbecue sauce, add more brown sugar to the sauce.
- If you like spicier barbecue sauce, add more of the adobo sauce or use the chipotle chiles in the sauce.
- If you like more vinegar in your sauce, increase the amount of vinegar in the sauce.
More crock pot sandwich recipes!
- Crock Pot Mexican Chicken
- Slow Cooker Beef Sandwiches with Horseradish Coleslaw
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches
If you’ve tried this crock pot bbq chicken recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Crock Pot BBQ Chicken
- 2 ½-3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts1
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons adobo chile sauce2
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- Place the chicken in a slow cooker insert. I use a 5 quart.
- Season the chicken with salt.
- In a medium saucepan, stir remaining ingredients together until combined.
- Heat over medium-low sauce just until sauce begins to bubble, stirring regularly.
- Remove sauce from heat, and pour over chicken breast.
- Cover, and cook over LOW for 4-5 hours, or until chicken shreds easily with 2 forks.
- Turn slow cooker to WARM, and let shredded chicken sit in sauce for 30 minutes before serving.
- I recommend using regular-sized chicken breasts. Chicken halves or chicken breast filets can dry out while cooking.
- This is the sauce from canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. The sauce is not spicy. However, if you would like to add more heat to the sauce, add more adobo sauce or use the chipotle peppers.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @i_heart_eating and follow on Youtube @katedean and Pinterest @katedean for more!
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!
Comments & Reviews
Can I use thighs w the bbq chicken recipe
Yes, you can use thighs, if you prefer.
Everyone in our family gave it five stars. Delicious and easy!
I’m so glad that it was a hit! Thanks for commenting!
Very good! We liked the sauce as it wasn’t very sweet.
Thanks! I’m so glad that you liked the chicken! Thanks for commenting. =)
Can I prep this the night before and just throw it in the fridge for the morning ?
I think so! I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t do that.