When the veggies are in season, this is a really inexpensive, filling meal. The vegetables and cheese bake down form a yummy, cheesy dish that’s similar to a noodle-less veggie lasagna.This Layered Veggie Bake makes a great, hearty side dish, but we usually eat it as a lighter supper.
We pair it with some French bread or garlic knots to complete the meal.
Layered Vegetable Bake
- 1 cup ricotta cheese I use low-fat
- 1 cup cottage cheese I use low-fat
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon . Italian seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds eggplants peeled and cut into ¼-inch rounds
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt divided
- 1 ½ pounds tomatoes in slices
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cut in slices
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 2 large onions peeled, sliced 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray a deep 13×9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, garlic, Italian seasoning, and salt. Set aside.
- Place a layer of eggplant in the baking pan.
- Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt (about 1/2 teaspoonful).
- Place a second layer of eggplant over the first layer.
- Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt (about 1/2 teaspoonful)
- Spread ricotta mixture over eggplant slices.
- Add a layer of tomato slices over the ricotta mixture.
Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt (about 1/2 teaspoonful).
- Top the tomatoes with mozzarella and basil.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil over mozzarella and basil.
- Next, add a layer of onions on top of mozzarella.
Sprinkle more kosher salt lightly over the onions (about 1/2 teaspoonful).
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over onions.
- Drizzle remaining olive oil over bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle Parmesan over the bread crumbs.
- Bake for about 35-45 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Check it after 25 minutes, and if it's browning too quickly, tent a piece of aluminum foil over the top.