Crispy or chewy! This M&M Brownie Bark Recipe is a delicious chocolate confection that’s a copycat brownie brittle/crisp recipe.
I have some good stuff for you guys today – a recipe that involves lots of chocolate (including M&M’s!). We’ve been doing a lot of baking at our house lately. That’s probably my favorite thing about winter. I love being able to turn the oven on, bake something delicious, and have the house smell awesome.
And there aren’t too many things that make the house smell better than brownies – or in this case brownie bark.
This M&M Brownie Bark recipe makes crispy, chocolaty brittle that’s full of M&Ms and mini chocolate chips. It’s totally delicious, and it’s perfect for snacking or gifting.
What Is Brownie Bark?
Brownie bark (or brittle or crisps) is a thin, brownie-like confection. It can be either crispy or chewy/crisp and can be made with any number of mix-ins or toppings.
How To Make Brownie Bark
In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites. They don’t need to be whipped up, just barely foamy is ok.
Add the sugars, oil, and vanilla. Whisk until combined.
Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk just until combined.
Spread the batter into the prepared baking sheet.
Sprinkle the M&Ms and chocolate chips, if using, over the batter. Bake for about 18-20 minutes. Slightly underbake for chewier bark and bake for the full time for crispier bark.
Let cool completely in the pan. Break into pieces to serve.
Tips For Making Brownie Bark
- Chewy: If you want brownie bark that’s chewy/crisp, you can use a smaller baking sheet (i.e. a 9×13-inch rimmed baking sheet). Also, slightly underbaking the brownie bark helps to keep it chewier.
- Crispy: For crispier brownie bark, bake it for the full baking time. Also, using a larger pan helps to make it crispy.
- Mix-ins: You can use a different combination of mix-ins if you prefer. A good guide for potential mix-ins is to go with foods that work well mixed into cookie dough.
More Brownie Recipes!
If you’ve tried this M&M Brownie Bark recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
M&M Brownie Bark Recipe
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch or two of salt
- 1 cup M&M candies
- 1/4 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a jelly roll pan1 with a piece of parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the egg whites.
- Add the sugars, oil, and vanilla, whisking until smooth and well-combined.
- Whisk in the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda just until incorporated.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan. You’ll want it to be spread as thin as possible for crispier brittle.
- Sprinkle M&M's and chocolate chips, if using, over the batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Slightly underbaking will give you chewier brittle and baking the full time will give you crispier bark.
- Let the bark cool in the pan until it reaches room temperature.
- When the bark is at room temperature, break it into pieces.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
- For chewier bark, use a smaller pan (i.e a 9x13-inch baking sheet)
- Nutrition values are estimates.
adapted from King Arthur Flour
Originally published 12/6/13. Updated with new photos and tips 12/19/19.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!