Easy no-bake chocolate pie recipe! This simple chocolate mousse pie is made with a pre-made chocolate pie crust & 6 other pantry staples.
We've reached the point in the summer when the last thing I want to do is to turn on the oven. It's hot and humid here, and my little kitchen really heats up with the oven on.
So, this is also the point in the summer when I make all sorts of no bake desserts - like this easy no bake chocolate cream pie. This pie is more chocolate mousse than chocolate pudding.
It only takes about 20 minutes of hands-on time to make, and it is a great dessert to make ahead of time because it can sit in the fridge until you're ready for it.
Plus, it's so cool and refreshing and so super rich and creamy that it will (almost) make you forget about just how hot it is outside!
- Milk: You can use any milk from skim milk to whole milk. Whole milk will give you a richer, creamier pie.
- Butter: I use salted butter. If you're using unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt.
- Mini marshmallows: The marshmallows act as a thickener in this pie.
- Bittersweet chocolate chips: If you'd like a sweeter pie, use semisweet chocolate chips.
- Heavy whipping cream: Be sure that the cream is cold. This will help it to whip up properly.
- Oreo cookie crust: You can use a homemade Oreo crust or a premade chocolate cookie crust.
- Powdered sugar: You can use more or less to taste.
How to make a no bake chocolate pie
Step 1: In a large, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, bring the milk and butter to a simmer. Reduce heat to low.
Step 2: Stir in the mini marshmallows until melted.
Step 3: Add the chocolate and whisk in until melted and combined.
Step 4: Remove from heat. In a separate mixing bowl, beat 1-½ cups of the heavy cream with an electric mixer to form stiff peaks.
Step 5: Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture.
Step 6: Carefully pour the chocolate whipped cream mixture into the Oreo crust.
Step 7: Press a sheet of plastic wrap to the surface of the pie filling. Chill for at least 3 hours, or until filling is firm. The pie will continue to set up as it chills.
Step 8: Just prior to serving, whip the remaining 2-½ cups heavy cream with the powdered sugar until it forms stiff peaks.
Step 9: Spread the whipped cream over the chilled chocolate filling. Optional: top with chocolate shavings just before serving.
- Crust: I haven't been able to find either chocolate wafer cookies or chocolate graham crackers in the store. However, I could find Oreo cookies. So, I either use a pre-made chocolate cookie crust in this pie or use a homemade Oreo pie crust.
- Whipped cream: If you aren't familiar with making whipped cream, you can find tips and tricks to help you in this how to make whipped cream post.
- If you'd like to change up it up and add more chocolate flavor you can use chocolate whipped cream instead of regular whipped cream on top of the pie.
- The pie will continue to firm up as it chills. If you want a firmer filling, plan on a longer chilling time.
- Since the pie is chilled before serving, this pie makes a great make-ahead dessert! It can be made up to a day in advance and chilled until ready to serve.
The pie should be covered and stored in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to 4 days when properly stored.
More no bake recipes!
If you’ve tried this no bake chocolate pie recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes!
No Bake Chocolate Pie
- ⅓ cup milk¹
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- 4 cups cold heavy cream divided
- 9 inch chocolate cookie pie crust2
- ¼ cup powdered sugar3
- In a large, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, bring the milk and butter to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Stir in the mini marshmallows until melted.
- Add the chocolate and stir in until melted and combined.
- Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, beat 1 ½ cups of the heavy cream to form stiff peaks.
- Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture.
- Carefully pour the chocolate whipped cream mixture into the pie crust.
- Press a sheet of plastic wrap to the surface of the pie filling.
- Chill for at least 3 hours, or until filling is firm. The pie will continue to set up as it chills.
- Just prior to serving, whip the remaining 2 ½ cups heavy cream with the powdered sugar until it forms stiff peaks.
- Spread the whipped cream over the chilled chocolate filling.
- You can use any milk from skim milk to whole milk in this pie.
- I used a pre-made chocolate cookie crust because I haven't been able to get chocolate wafer cookie or chocolate graham crackers. If you prefer, feel free to make a homemade crust for this pie.
- The whipped cream is lightly sweetened. Feel free to add more sugar to taste.
- I topped the pie with chocolate curls for looks. The pie is also delicious served without chocolate curls.
- Nutrition values are estimates.