This past week, two of my little ones started school.
I homeschooled my older kiddo for the past two years, so having two kids start school at once was a big change for all of us.
Thankfully, my kids are loving school, but it's been a big routine change for all of us.
One of the biggest changes has been how busy the time after school has become.
It takes up to an hour to drive over, wait in the pick-up line, and then drive home.
And once we get home, my kids are hungry and wiped out.
So, having dinner ready in the slow cooker is huge for us.
This slow cooker beef stroganoff takes a little more work because it takes about 15 minutes of prep in the morning to get it going.
BUT those are 15 minutes well-spent when I don't have to come home and cook dinner at the end of the day.
I serve it over egg noddles and pair it with a simple green salad to keep things easy.
And it's both easy and delicious! This is a meal that we all love.
Even my kids who would tell you that they aren't in love with mushrooms will happily eat this for dinner.
One of the reasons they like this crock pot beef stroganoff so much is that has that deliciously rich sauce that makes beef stroganoff so good.
I use sour cream to add that yummy creaminess at the end of the cooking time.
Also, this slow cooker beef stroganoff reheats so well! My husband and I divide the leftovers up for lunches for the next few days.
Tips for making slow cooker beef stroganoff
- If time is short for you in the mornings, there are a couple things you can do ahead to save some time.
- First, I buy pre-sliced mushrooms because they're the same price. Also, you can pre-cook the mushrooms the night before.
- Second, I've found that I can ask for the roast to be cubed at the store, which is a huge time saver!
- Third, you can pre-chop your onion ahead of time. I usually chop up enough for the next few days when I chop one to save time.
More slow cooker beef recipes!
If you’ve tried this slow cooker beef stroganoff recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided)
- 1 pound white mushrooms (trimmed and sliced in thick slices)
- 1 large white or yellow onion (minced)
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium beef broth
- ½ cup dry white wine (or additional beef broth)
- ⅓ cup soy sauce (regular or reduced-sodium)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 pound boneless beef chuck roast (excess fat trimmed and cut into 1 ½-inch chunks)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add oil.
- Add mushrooms, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Let mushrooms cook 5-10 minutes, or until softened.
- Pour mushrooms into slow cooker. I use a 5 quart slow cooker.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in now empty skillet.
- Add onion, tomato paste, garlic, and thyme. Cook until onions have softened, stirring regularly, about 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in flour, and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in broth and wine, scraping up any browned bits. Be sure to whisk until there are no flour lumps.
- Pour into slow cooker.
- Stir in soy sauce and bay leaves.
- Season beef chunks with salt and pepper.
- Add beef chunks to slow cooker, pushing beef into sauce.
- Cover, and cook until beef is tender, on low for 9-11 hours or on high for 5-7 hours.
- Skim any accumulated fat from the surface.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Add 1 cup of cooking liquid from slow cooker to a bowl.
- Stir in sour cream and mustard, and then return mixture to slow cooker, stirring to combine.
- Season with additional salt, pepper, and dill to taste.