Crockpot beef tips with gravy is pure crock pot comfort food! This yummy beef roast dinner recipe makes its own gravy while it cooks!
Simple roast recipes were some of the first crock pot meals that I learned to make.
When I was in school, I loved the convenience of using my slow cooker. I could buy an inexpensive roast and veggies, add a few basic ingredients like broth and onion soup mix, and come home to a hot meal that would feed me for several days.
Since that time, I’ve learned to make all sorts of things in my slow cooker, but I still love a good roast.
This Crockpot Beef Tip recipe is a little more involved than the dump-and-go roasts that I began with, but the results are fantastic and are worth the extra effort. The 15 or so minutes spent browning the roast, sautéing the veggies, and starting the gravy add so much flavor to the dish!
What Are Beef Tips?
Beef tips are sometimes called “stew meat”. They’re pieces of beef from various parts of the cow that hold up well to a long, slow braise.
How To Make Beef Tips In The CrockPot
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil to the skillet and season the beef.
Add the the cubed beef to the skillet and brown. Remove to a plate.
Add the onions and mushrooms to the now-empty skillet. Cook until they’re beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
Sprinkle the herbs and flour over the onions and mushrooms. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Add the beef broth and whisk in. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
Add the beef cubes to the slow cooker insert, and pour the gravy over the top.
Cover and cook for about 8 hours on LOW, or until the beef is fork-tender.
How To Prep Ahead Of Time
To help make the recipe faster in the morning, prep some of the ingredients the night before. You can trim the fat from the roast and cube it (store the cubed roast in the fridge).
The mushrooms can be sliced, and the onion can be diced the night before, too.
What To Serve With Beef Tips
Beef tips with gravy go well over noodles like egg noodles or thick homestyle noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes. The beef tips can also be served with vegetables and either crusty bread or dinner rolls to mop up the gravy.
More Crockpot Recipes!
If you’ve tried this slow cooker beef with mushroom gravy recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Crockpot Beef Tips
- 3 pound boneless chuck roast1
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 8 ounces sliced button mushrooms
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme2
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary (crushed)
- 1 1/4 cups beef broth3
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- While skillet is heating up, trim the fat from the roast and cube it.
- Add oil and swirl pan to coat.
- Season roast with salt and pepper.
- Brown roast on all sides, and then remove to a plate.
- Stir in onions and mushrooms, and cook until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour and herbs over vegetables, and stir in. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minutes.
- Whisk in beef broth, scraping up any browned bits from the pan, and bring to boil.
- Remove gravy from heat.
- Add the browned beef cubes to the slow cooker insert.
- Pour the gravy over the beef tips.
- Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours, or until roast is fork tender.
- In a bowl, add 1 cup of gravy from the slow cooker and remaining 2 tablespoons flour. Stir together until combined.
- Whisk beef/flour mixture into slow cooker, and let it continue to cook for 20-30 minutes.
- Or similar cut of meat such as a rump roast
- If using fresh herbs, increase to 1 or 1-1/2 teaspoons each.
- I recommend using reducing sodium broth or stock so that you can control the sodium levels.
- To speed up the morning prep, trim the fat and cube the roast,and cut up onions and mushrooms the night before.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Originally published 4/27/17. Updated with new photos and tips 10/3/19.