S'mores popcorn balls are great party or Halloween treats or desserts! This easy marshmallow popcorn ball recipe makes the best popcorn balls.
This time of year seems to be the time for popcorn balls. Maybe it's all of the upcoming Halloween parties. Whatever the reason, it's definitely that time of year!
These S'mores Popcorn Balls are more like a rice krispies treat meets a traditional popcorn ball. They have gooey, buttery marshmallow holding all of the other good stuff together.
These popcorn balls are super easy to make, and they taste great!
How To Make S'mores Popcorn Balls
Pop the popcorn according to package directions. Set aside.
Add the butter to a large saucepan. Cook until it begins to turn golden brown.
Stir in the marshmallows and continue to stir regularly until completely melted. Remove frm heat and stir in vanilla.
Add the popcorn and Golden Grahams and fold in. Let the mixture cool enough to easily handle.
Lightly spritz your hands with nonstick cooking spray and smoosh about 1 cup each into ball.
Sprinkle the mini chips over each ball and gently press into the ball. Let cool to room temperature on waxed paper or a silicone baking mat.
Tips For Making Popcorn Balls
- Popcorn: I use a natural (unflavored) microwave popcorn. You can use air popped or any other type of popcorn you prefer.
- Chocolate Chips: I like to use mini chocolate chips. However, you can use full-size or even jumbo chocolate chips if you prefer.
- Marshmallows: Large marshmallows can be used in place of mini marshmallows.
- If the popcorn mixture is too warm when you add the chocolate chips, they will melt. Make sure you let it cool down to about room temperature.
- The popcorn balls are best eaten the day they're made. To store them, wrap them in plastic wrap and store at room temperature.
More Popcorn Ball Recipes!
If you’ve tried this s'mores popcorn ball recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes!
S'mores Popcorn Balls
- 3 ounce bag natural microwave popcorn 8 cups popped popcorn
- ¼ cup butter
- 10 ounce bag mini marshmallows
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Golden Grahams cereal
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Pop popcorn according to package directions; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter.
- Continue cooking until butter begins to turn golden brown.
- Add marshmallows, and stir constantly until marshmallows have melted.
- Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla.
- Add popcorn and Golden Grahams, and fold into marshmallow mixture.
- When mixture is cool enough to handle, lightly spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray.
- Scoop about 1 cup of the popcorn mixture and smoosh it into a ball.
- Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips, and gently press them into the popcorn ball.
- Place on a sheet of waxed paper, parchment paper, or silicone baking mat to cool.
Originally published 10/19/15. Updated with new photos and tips 10/26/19.