This recipe makes the best thick homemade chocolate chip cookies with soft middles and chewy/crisp edges. Best way to make giant bakery-style cookies at home!
Chocolate chip cookies are practically a food group at my house.
We love all sort of chocolate chip cookies! These cookies are big, thick, bakery-style chocolate chip cookies.
They have soft middles and chewy/crisp edges, and they’re packed with plenty of chocolate for the ultimate chocolate chip cookie experience.
How to make thick homemade chocolate chip cookies
These cookies start with a base of melted butter. The melted butter gives a little bit chewier cookie than using softened butter.
The butter shouldn’t be hot, though. When the butter is hot, it can cause the cookies to end up greasy. I recommend using butter that is just melted (or letting it cool before use if it ends up too hot).
I measure the cookie dough using a 1/4 cup measuring cup. I don’t pack the dough in tight for this cookie.
Also, I don’t flatten the cookies before baking (after all, these are thick chocolate chip cookies!).
What makes these cookies thick?
These are giant, thick bakery-style cookies. They have chewy/crisp edges and soft centers.
So, what makes them big and thick? The larger scoop of dough and baking the cookies at a lower temperature helps them bake through without baking out (spreading).
Also, this dough is chilled before baking. The dough is pretty soft and chilling the dough helps to keep it from spreading too much as it bakes.
Are the cookies chewy?
These cookies have chewy/crisp edges and soft middles. They aren’t as chewy as some cookies (check out the link below for a link to a chewier cookie).
They remind me more of a classic chocolate chip cookie (only much larger!).
Can I chill the dough overnight?
Sure! However, if your fridge is like my fridge, you’ll need to let the dough soften up a bit before you can scoop it.
How long do the cookies keep?
The cookies are best eaten in the first 2-3 days.
How to store the cookies
I store them in a resealable bag at room temperature.
More chocolate chip cookie recipes!
- Easiest Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Chewy Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you’ve tried this thick homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Thick Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter melted*
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
- Mix butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together until well-combined.
- Stir in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until well-combined.
- Add flour, salt, and baking soda. Stir in until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips until just incorporated.
- Cover, and chill dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Drop cookies by 1/4 cup scoop, spacing dough about 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until edges are light brown and middles are just set.**
- Let cookies cool on cookie sheet before removing.