Moist Buttermilk Pumpkin Spice Bread is a richly spiced homemade pumpkin bread that gets its its soft, moist texture from the buttermilk, not oil.
One of the best things about pumpkin bread is how moist it is. However, many recipes call for a cup (or more) of oil to make pumpkin bread so moist.
Since pumpkin is already so great at adding moisture, I cut the oil and added buttermilk in for a super moist, super tasty loaf of pumpkin bread that won’t leave you with any heavy, greasiness.
How to make moist pumpkin bread
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
In a large bowl, stir together buttermilk, pumpkin puree, and oil until combined. Stir in eggs and vanilla until incorporated.
Add dry ingredients, and stir until just combined. Stir in nuts if using.
Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake for 55-65 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove from oven, and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and finish cooling on wire rack.
How long will pumpkin bread stay fresh?
This pumpkin bread will stay fresh for two days store, covered, at room temperature. It will stay fresh another 1-2 days stored, covered, in the fridge.
More pumpkin recipes!
If you’ve tried this buttermilk pumpkin spice bread recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Buttermilk Pumpkin Spice Bread
- 9×5 loaf pan
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk low-fat ok
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 9×5-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together buttermilk, pumpkin puree, and oil until combined.
- Stir in eggs and vanilla until incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Stir in nuts if using.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If the bread starts to brown too quickly, tent with foil.
- Remove from oven, and let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and finish cooling on wire rack.
Published 8/24/16. Updated with new tips 9/1/18 and updated with additional photos on 11/17/21..
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!