As much as I love pumpkin everything, I’m always excited for apple desserts in the fall.
One of my favorite apple desserts is apple crisp. I love the combination of the brown sugar oat topping and juicy baked apples.
These Apple Crisp Cookies take that crisp brown sugar oatmeal toping and combine it with pieces of fresh apple in an easy cookie recipe.
So you end up with a simple, delicious fall treat that’s a great way to enjoy apple crisp in a whole new way.
Apple Crisp Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (packed - light or dark ok)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely diced apple
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Sparkling white sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir oats, flour, baking soda, salt, apple pie spice, and cinnamon together. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk butter, applesauce, and sugars together until combined.
- Whisk in the egg and vanilla until well-combined.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in the apples and nuts. The cookie dough will feel thick and maybe even a little dry.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (1.5 tablespoon), scoop cookie dough, and place 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with sparkling sugar, if using.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes, or until set and lightly browned at the edges.
- Let cool 5-10 minutes on baking sheet, and then remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
- Nutrition values are estimates.