Baked Chocolate Donut Recipe makes soft baked, not fried, chocolate cake donuts. They’re topped with rich homemade chocolate frosting.
Today we’re talking about one of my favorite things – donuts!
Store bought doughnuts can be very good, but it’s also nice to be able to make your own when the craving strikes.
This easy chocolate donut recipe lets you make chocolate cake donuts at home whenever get you the craving.
Are cake donuts baked or deep fried?
Traditionally, cake donuts are deep fried. However, you absolutely can bake cake donuts.
How do you bake doughnuts?
Donut pans are the easiest way to bake donuts. They’re available everywhere from Amazon to Target and Walmart.
I’ve even seen them at my local grocery store. Though most donut pans are nonstick, I like to use a baking spray with flour when I bake with them.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Tools used to make this Baked Chocolate Donut Recipe:
Donut pans: These are the donut pans that I have. I’ve had them for several years, and they’ve gotten a lot of use during that time. They’re still in great shape, and they’re a must-have to make baked donuts.
Baking spray with flour: I use baking spray with flour most of the time when I’m baking. I like that it greases and flours all in one spray, and I’ve never had trouble with anything sticking when I use it.
More baked donut recipes!
If you’ve tried this baked chocolate donut recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Baked Chocolate Donut Recipe
Baked Chocolate Donuts
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour (180 g)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (99 g)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (21 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk (224 g)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (50 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter (42 g)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (170 g)
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 2 standard sized donut pans (12 donuts total); set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add egg, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined. Batter will be on the thinner side.
- Spoon batter into a donut pan, filling about 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes. Donuts should spring back when lightly touched.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan, and set on wire cooling rack.
- Once donuts are cool, prepare glaze.
- In a heavy saucepan over lowest heat, melt butter half-way.
- Add chocolate chips and corn syrup. Stir regularly until completely melted and well-incorporated.
- Once glaze is ready, dip the tops of the donuts into the glaze.
- Set on a wire cooling rack, and let glaze set up, if desired.