Easy one-bowl banana oatmeal bread recipe! This quick bread recipe makes healthy but still light and fluffy banana bread.
Banana bread is my favorite way to use up ripe bananas. This banana oatmeal bread is light, moist banana bread that's a little healthier because of some good-for-you ingredients.
The oatmeal makes it a little heartier than traditional banana bread, but the buttermilk helps to keep it light and moist.
This banana bread is also super easy to make! It's a simple, one-bowl recipe that will give you moist homemade banana bread in about an hour.
Best Bananas For Banana Bread
The best bananas to use to make banana bread are ripe or overripe bananas. Bananas with equal yellow and brown speckling, like the bananas pictured above, are great.
Overripe bananas will have more brown than yellow and will work well for bananas bread. Avoid using black bananas.
How To Make Banana Oatmeal Bread
I highly recommend mixing the banana bread by hand. This recipe is easy to mix by hand and this helps to avoid overmixing the batter.
Mash the banana in a large bowl. Add the buttermilk and mix in until well-combined.
Stir in the vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Mix in the eggs and sugars until combined.
Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and oats. Stir in just until combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes.
Tips For Making Banana Bread
- Bananas that are ripe to overripe are perfect for this banana bread. Don't use underripe or black bananas.
- I highly recommend mixing the batter by hand. It's easy to do, and it helps to avoid overmixing the batter.
- Be sure to properly measure the flour. Too much flour will give you dry or doughy bread.
- I check my bread for browning around 30-35 minutes. If the bread browns too quickly, tent with aluminum foil and continue to bake.
- Bread will keep stored in a resealable container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- This banana bread also freezes well.
More Quick Bread Recipes!
If you’ve tried this banana oatmeal bread recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes!
Banana Oatmeal Bread
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2-3 bananas)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (properly measured1)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan. Set aside.
- Add the banana to a large bowl and mash.
- Stir in buttermilk until well-combined.
- Whisk in the oil and vanilla until combined.
- Add the eggs and sugars. Whisk in until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and oats. Whisk in just until combined. Don't overmix.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.2
- Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- To properly measure the flour, stir or sift the flour, lightly spoon into the measuring cup, and level.
- If the bread is browning too quickly, tent with aluminum foil.
- Nutrition values are estimates.