Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is an easy, comfort food dish that’s sure to please! Recipe includes make-ahead freezer meal directions.
This is another Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is a make-ahead, freezer-friendly casserole. If you like to get an extra meal out of your efforts, then these two-for-one casseroles are the way to go.
I buy the disposable aluminum pans for the casserole that is going to go into the freezer because I don’t want all of my pans and dishes to end up in the freezer, and they seem to work well for the freezer casseroles.
This Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is also a great dinner to make with Christmas or Easter leftover ham or with weeknight leftover chicken.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 4 c . milk
- 1/2 c . all-purpose flour
- 8 oz . shredded casserole cheese blend ((mozzarella, cheddar, and Monterrey Jack))
- 12 oz package dried shaped pasta - like penne
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 c . cooked chicken (cubed)
- 2 c . cooked ham (cubed)
- 1/2 c . dried bread crumbs (Panko or traditional)
- 8 oz . Swiss cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease two 9x9-inch casserole dishes or a 9x13 baking dish if making one casserole.
- Cook pasta to almost al dente, about 1-2 minutes less than al dente if freezing or to al dente if not.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot whisk together milk and flour until smooth.
- Heat over medium-low heat until thickened, whisking regularly.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in casserole cheese blend until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add pasta to baking dish(es).
- Pour cheese sauce over pasta.
- Top with chicken and ham.
- Sprinkle Swiss cheese and then bread crumbs over the top.
- Bake casserole for 15 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- If freezing, let come to room temperature.
- Cover pan tightly with plastic wrap and then foil.
- When ready to use, thaw in fridge overnight.
- Uncover, and bake at 350F for about 20-25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.