Best chocolate chocolate chip muffins! This easy one-bowl recipe makes moist chocolate muffins that are full of chocolate chips.
Some recipes practically write themselves.
This was not one of those recipes.
I had an idea of what I wanted chocolate chocolate muffins to be – moist, chocolaty, and full of melty chocolate chips.
But it was suprisingly difficult to turn that idea into the perfect muffin recipe.
Over the past two years, I’ve made at least 20 different versions of this recipe.
I tested just about every possible combination of ingredients and methods until I had a recipe that I was happy with.
And I hope you’ll be happy with it, too.
How to make chocolate chocolate chip muffins
This is a pretty simple one-bowl recipe.
Begin by whisking the wet ingredients together until combined.
Add the dry ingredients along with the chocolate chips, and stir until just combined.
Divide the batter between the prepared muffin tin cups, and bake.
Why add the chocolate chips along with the dry ingredients?
It helps to keep the chocolate chips from sinking as the muffins bake.
As the ingredients are all stirred in, the chocolate chips get coated with flour.
This helps to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the muffins as they bake.
Tips to make perfect muffins
- Be sure to properly measure the ingredients! This makes all the difference in how the recipe turns out. I recommend sifting or stirring the flour and cocoa powder. Then, lightly spoon into the measure cup and level. This helps to avoid packing the flour/cocoa powder in.
- I recommend using full-fat buttermilk and sour cream in these muffins. You can use reduced fat (avoid fat-free) products, but the muffins won’t be quite as moist if you use reduced-fat products.
- Avoid overbaking! It’s harder to tell when chocolate muffins are ready just by sight. Know how your oven bakes, and start testing the muffins early if need be.
More muffin recipes!
If you’ve tried this chocolate chocolate chip muffin recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk¹
- 1/4 cup sour cream²
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour³ spooned and leveled
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder spooned and leveled
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line or grease 20 standard-sized muffin tin cups. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk eggs, oil, buttermilk, sour cream, and vanilla together until combined.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips; stir until just combined.
- Fill the muffin batter into the prepared liners until almost full.
- Bake at 425F for 5 minutes.
- Without removing the muffins, lower the temperature to 350F and continue baking additional 13-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the muffin tin and let cool to room temperature on a wire cooling rack.
- Full-fat or low-fat ok
- Full-fat or reduced-fat ok. I don't recommend using fat-free sour cream.
- It's important to properly measure the flour and cocoa powder to avoid dry, heavy muffins. Sift or stir the flour/cocoa powder, lightly spoon into the measuring cup, and level.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @i_heart_eating and follow on Youtube @katedean and Pinterest @katedean for more!
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!
Comments & Reviews
Wonderful chocolate muffins! I love Costco’s chocolate muffins and these are just as good.
Thanks! I’m so glad you liked them! Thanks for commenting. =)