Best cinnamon muffins! This easy recipe lets you make homemade cinnamon swirl muffins from scratch in less than 30 minutes.
These cinnamon muffins are moist and tender. They have an almost cake-like texture.
The muffins have sweet cinnamon sugar swirled throughout, which makes them look pretty and taste delicious. They’re a great alternative to cinnamon rolls for those times when you want something sweet and cinnamon-y but don’t want to spend hours whipping up a batch of homemade cinnamon rolls.
How to make cinnamon muffins
Step 1: Begin by melting the butter. The butter should be just melted, not hot or sizzling.
Tip >> I melt the butter most of the way, and then I whisk the butter until it is completely melted.
Step 2: Once melted, whisk in the sugar.
Step 3: Whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract until combined.
Step 4: Add the buttermilk, and whisk in until combined.
Step 5: Whisk in the flour, baking soda, and salt.
Tip >> Properly measuring the flour is key. Too much flour will give you a dense, heavy, or dry muffin.
Step 6: Stir together the remaining sugar and cinnamon. Fold in just giving it a couple turns.
To get the swirled effect, the cinnamon sugar shouldn’t be equally distributed in the dough.
Step 7: Divided batter between prepared muffin tin cups and bake.
You can! Bake as directed and let the muffins cool to room temperature on a wire cooling rack. Place the cooled muffins in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Place the muffins in the microwave and warm for about 10 seconds to reheat.
Any leftover muffins can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
More muffin recipes!
If you’ve tried this cinnamon muffin recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
- 6 tablespoons butter melted¹
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk²
- 2 cups all-purpose flour³
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin. Be sure to grease the entire muffin tin as tops will rise out of the cup. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk butter and 3/4 cup sugar until well-combined.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla until combined.
- Add milk, and mix until incorporated.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir remaining 1/3 cup sugar and ground cinnamon together.
- Add to dough, and fold in 2-3 times. You don’t want it to be combined. Check out the picture above the recipe.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake 15-25 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown.
- Let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes before removing.
- Just melted, not hot and sizzling. I melt my butter most of the way and then whisk to finish melting it.
- Regular or low-fat ok.
- Be sure to properly measure the flour by either weighing it or sifting or stirring, spooning it into the measuring cup, and then leveling it.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!