Easy chocolate chocolate chip cookie recipe! These soft double chocolate chip cookies are made in one bowl and can be made in about 20 minutes!
My easy chocolate chip cookies are one of the most popular recipes on my site. I’ve had several people ask for a chocolate version, and so I came up with these easy chocolate chocolate chip cookies that are just as fast and delicious as the originals.
These chocolate chocolate chip cookies really are quick and easy. They are made with melted butter, so there’s no need to use a hand mixer.
They don’t require any chilling, so they’re also really quick to stir up, and it only takes about 20 minutes from start to baked cookie with this recipe.
So, these cookies are a great choice when you want homemade chocolate chocolate chip cookies but don’t want to spend a lot of time making them.
Butter: This recipe uses melted butter. I prefer to use salted butter, but you can use unsalted butter if you prefer.
Sugars: This recipe uses both brown sugar and granulated (white sugar). You can use either dark or light brown sugar. Dark brown sugar will give you a slightly richer flavor.
Measuring Flour: If you aren’t weighing your ingredients, I can’t recommend that enough. If you are using measuring cups, be sure to sift or stir the flour before measuring. Flour packs easily and using too much flour in cookies will give you dry, crumbly dough and cookies that don’t spread.
Salt: Kosher salt is a larger-grain salt that isn’t as “salty” as table salt. If you’re using table salt, be sure to use 1/4 teaspoon.
Chocolate Chips: I use semisweet chocolate chips. You can use another type of chocolate chip, like milk or semisweet, if you prefer. You could even use white chocolate chips if you like.
How to make chocolate chocolate chip cookies
Here you’ll find step-by-step photos showing how to make the cookies. The full recipe with ingredient amounts and full directions is below.
Step 1: Microwave the butter in a large, microwave-safe bowl for about 40 seconds. Butter should mostly melted.
Step 2: Whisk the butter until it is completely melted. If it doesn’t melt completely or is pretty solid (like the picture above right), microwave it for a few more seconds until it melts and is liquid (like the melted butter around the butter in the picture on the left).
Step 3: Add the sugars. It will be a little thick and sandy at this point but mix until well-combined.
Step 4: Stir in vanilla and egg until incorporated.
Step 5: Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Please read the recipe note about properly measuring flour.
Step 6: Mix dough until just combined. Dough should be soft and a little sticky but not overly sticky.
Step 7: Stir in chocolate chips.
Step 8: Scoop out 1.5 tablespoons of dough (medium cookie scoop) and place 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
Step 9: Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until cookies are set. They will be puffy and still look a little underbaked in the middle.
>> I highly recommend mixing the cookies by hand. You can use an electric mixer, but hand mixing helps to avoid overworking the dough.
>> One of the keys to make soft cookies is slightly underbaking the cookies. This means that the edges should look set but the middles should still look puffy and soft.
>> For the photos on the page, I made slightly larger cookies. I used 2 tablespoons of dough, rolled it into a ball, and then flattened slightly. I baked the cookies for about 10 minutes.
Store and leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. The cookies will keep for 2-3 days when properly stored.
More easy cookie recipes!
If you’ve tried this easy chocolate chocolate chip cookie recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Easy Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cookie sheets
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour¹
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt2
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Microwave the butter in a large, microwave-safe bowl for about 40 seconds. Butter should mostly melted.
- Whisk the butter until it is completely melted.
- Add the sugars; mix until well-combined.
- Stir in vanilla and egg until incorporated.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Please read the recipe note about properly measuring flour.
- Mix dough until just combined. Dough should be soft and a little sticky but not overly sticky.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop out 1.5 tablespoons of dough (medium cookie scoop) and place 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until cookies are set. They will be puffy and still look a little underbaked in the middle.3
- Be sure to properly measure the flour. To measure the flour, stir or sift the flour to break it up. Then lightly spoon into the measuring cup and level. I don’t recommend scooping as it can pack in the flour.
- Or 1/4 teaspoon table salt.
- Slightly underbaking the cookies helps to keep them soft.
- You can also make larger cookies by scooping up 2-3 tablespoons of dough and flattening it slightly. Bake for about 9-10 minutes.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!