This easy homemade self-rising flour recipe takes just 3 ingredients and 5 minutes.
What is self-rising flour?
Self-rising flour is a flour mixture that combines flour, baking powder, and salt.
It's usually made from a slightly lower protein flour to give a softer, more tender baked good.
What is self-rising flour used for?
It's commonly used in recipes in the Southern U.S. in recipes for biscuits, pancakes, and muffins.
Can I use it in place of all-purpose flour?
No, because self-rising flour also contains baking powder and salt, it isn't a good substitute for all-purpose flour.
It's best to use it in recipes that were created using self-rising flour.
More DIY pantry staples!
If you’ve tried this self-rising flour recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes!
How to Make Self-Rising Flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour¹
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- Use as directed in the recipe.
- If using in biscuits, using 1 cup of pastry flour in place of the all-purpose flour will give you a more tender baked good.
- Nutrition values are estimates.