Best Mexican chocolate chip cookie recipe! These soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies have extra oomph from cinnamon and cayenne pepper.
I love the combination of flavors in Mexican hot chocolate!
The chocolate, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper just go so well together.
That combination of flavors was the inspiration for these Mexican chocolate chip cookies.
I used one of my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes as the base for these cookies, and then added chocolate chunks, cinnamon, and cayenne.
The cookies are soft and chewy and full of flavor!
How to make Mexican chocolate chip cookies
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan.
Whisk brown sugar together with butter.
Let it sit for 5 minutes.
Whisk in egg and egg yolk.
Add vanilla and whisk in.
Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne pepper until combined.
Stir in chopped chocolate.
Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
Scoop 1.5 tablespoon scoops of dough (medium cookie scoop), and place scoops of dough 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet.
Bake until the edges are light golden brown.
The centers will still look soft and slightly underdone.
This is the key to getting a soft and chewy cookie.
How long will the cookies keep?
The cookies will keep for 3-4 days at room temperature.
Tips to make perfect cookies
- First, the butter should just barely be melted. You won’t want to cook the butter or brown the butter. Overcooking the butter or browning the butter will result in a dry dough.
- Be sure to properly measure the flour. Either weigh the flour or sift the flour, lightly spoon into the measuring cup, and then level. Packing in the flour will result into a dry dough or cookies that don’t spread.
- A pinch or two of cayenne pepper (1/8 teaspoon) will give you just a hint of heat. If you want more heat in the cookies, add more cayenne pepper to taste.
More chocolate chip cookie recipes!
- Easiest Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 20 Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes
- Bakery-Style Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
If you’ve tried this Mexican chocolate chip cookie recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Mexican Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour¹
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt²
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 ounces semisweet baking chocolate chopped
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan. The butter should be just barely melted.
- Add brown sugar to a large bowl.
- Pour melted butter over sugar.
- Stir to combine butter and sugar. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add egg and egg yolk; stir to combine.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne pepper. Stir until just combined. Please see the comments about flour in the recipe notes.
- Stir in chopped chocolate.
- Cover, and chill dough for 30 minutes.
- Toward the end of the chilling time, preheat oven to 375 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (1.5 tablespoon), drop scoops of dough 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 7-10 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are golden brown. The centers should look soft and slightly underdone.
- Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
- Correctly measuring the ingredients is key. I suggest either weighing the ingredients or aerating the flour (sifting or fluffing) and then scooping and leveling. Packing in too much flour will cause the cookies not to spread.
- Or scant 1/2 tsp. table salt
- I suggest stirring this recipe together by hand rather than using a hand or stand mixer.
- Nutrition values are estimates.